Growing winter squash and gourds on creek/river beds?

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by r.h. in okla., Feb 6, 2005.

1. I can't remember if it was on this web site or a Countryside/backwoods/mother earth magazine about a article of this woman who would float down a river and plant squash and gourd seeds on the banks. Then she would float down the river at the end of the summer and harvest a boat load of goodies. Ever since I read that I have been wanting to do the same thing on the creek bed here by my house. Well late this evening I made a quick walk down to the creek by my house and noticed lots of beaver signs. Foot prints and chewed up twiggs and sapplings. Then it dawned on me! :confused: Do beavers eat squash and gourds? If so, are the beavers extinct wherever that lady was from?

Does anyone know if beavers eat squash and gourds? Or any other animal that might be a nuisance?

2. moonwolf

moonwolf Well-Known Member

Beavers might also use them in their dam building.
    I would also think a lot of wild march or water, field, or forest game birds might be attracted to pick at squash......rabbits, squirrels, etc.

3. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

Do you have LOTS of seeds? It wouldn't hurt to give it a try, but I'd also plant some in the garden just in case it doesn't work out.

4. Yes, I always have lots of seeds leftover. I usually buy my seeds at the coop already prepackaged and they give way more seeds then what I use. So I'll have plenty to experiment with and see just how much of a harvest on the creek bed versus the garden. Also, as far as the dam building goes, I don't think the beavers around here have any engineer school trainning, or, they maybe smart enough to know that the early spring floods will wash their dams out.

5. sylvar

sylvar Well-Known Member

Whose land was she planting these squash on? Hers I hope. The Green River in Kentucky runs right through the middle of my dad's place. He frequently has trouble with people floating down the river and planting stuff on his property....and they ain't planting squash. ;) It got to the point a few years ago that he gave the local police an open invite to hunt and fish on his property. They caught more than catfish.

Be aware that if someone sees you pull up to the bank and start planting stuff, their first guess at what you are planting isn't going to be birdhouse gourds.

Sylvar