Growing Veggies in New Orleans Post-Katrina

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by MsPacMan, May 3, 2006.

1. MsPacMan

MsPacMan Well-Known Member

I was just wondering: are they able to grow vegetables safely in backyard gardens in the New Orleans area this year?

What about lawns? Did folks down there loose their lawns in the flood?

I'm just curious.

2. Farm boy88

Farm boy88 Active Member

I think most of the plants are ok. I was not in N.O. much but in Slidell where they had flooding the plants are all green. I think I did see green grass in N.O. now that I think about it.

3. moldy

moldy Well-Known Member

I saw a news story not too long after Katrina about all the watermelons that were popping up all over NO. People were being warned NOT to eat them as they had essentially been grown in raw sewage, as well as toxic chemicals. Not sure how long it would take for all of that to get out of the environment where it would not be unhealthy.

4. rwinsouthla

rwinsouthla Well-Known Member Supporter

I have lots of friends in New Orleans, lived there for 5 years, and know it well. Most everything has come back. Even the lawns. Lots of the trees lost all of the foliage during the storm but this spring it was magical to watch all of the live oaks put that pale green flush on in February. What an awesome site to see something that was so bare burst back into a bushy huge tree. Like it conquered Katrina or something. I digress.....

Yeah, everything will be fine for the veggies. There may be some that won't do well at first, but after a season or two of good rains, the salinity will be gone and the soil, for the most part, will work itself back to normal. The LSU Ag Center website had some good articles about the topic. We went to the zoo this past weekend and it looks beautiful but it wasn't underwater. Up by the lake, the azaleas were awesome back in March so at least they weren't affected.

The only tree I noticed that didn't do well was the Japanese Yew tree. Everywhere you saw one, you could tell how high the water got because all leaves below the water line were dead. Above the water line, the tree was fine.

Give the gardens a year and they'll be fine. They have such a neat farmer's market on Saturdays in the spring. Didn't see it Saturday but I bet they're back in the fall!!!

Have fun...