Growing squash among fruit trees

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Wilbur, Aug 30, 2004.

1. Wilbur

Wilbur Well-Known Member

I have a small section of ground that I plan to put a couple of fruit trees on- haven't decided what kind just yet. But one thing that came to mind was the possibility of growing squash or melons among the trees. I don't know if there would be a problem doing this or not but figured some of you may have done it or thought about it! We are in central Mass if that matters. Thanks in advance for any help!

2. katydidagain

katydidagain Adventuress--Definition 2 Supporter

I'm space challenged where I live so this year I've planted pumpkins and squash in fruit areas. The pumpkin plants are lost among the fig leaves but they're doing just fine. Squash tucked under the grape arbor is producing. That's my limited experience.

katy

3. suelandress

suelandress Windy Island Acres Supporter

I didn't plant my squash, cukes, pumpkins, amongst my trees, but they rambled there on their own. Trees don't seem bothered by them.

4. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

I had punkins growing on an apple tree one year. They were sugar babies and they grew up a low hanging branch and just kept going.

5. suelandress

suelandress Windy Island Acres Supporter

apple-pumpkin pie hmmmmm :D

6. Bret F

Bret F Well-Known Member

My pink banana squash went through an apple tree last year. It had one squash that the end touched the ground but the rest was suspended along the tree trunck and grew to be about three feet long. That was one that I didn't worry about starting to rot or getting soft spots from laying on the ground.

7. Wilbur

Wilbur Well-Known Member

I appreciate your feedback. May give it a go next year. Kills two birds with one stone- more room for the squashes and opens up the area I was growing them on for more vegies!! Thanks all.

8. mightybooboo

mightybooboo Well-Known Member

running the plants up the trees,thats a great idea
    BooBoo