Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that our gandkids are staying with us (9,7,6). They have become interested in gardening. I know it is to late in the season, so we started so grape tomatoes and strawberries that can be grown inside or with a small PVC greenhouse. So now they want to try some rice. I have the rice seeds and a decent understanding ofhow to grow rice. I figure this would be a good expirment or practice till the next gardening season. I have a few questions:
1. Has anyone ever grown their own rice?
2. Do you know of anything important that we may need to know that would come from expirence?

We are not worried about being able to mill the rice down to brown or white rice yet. It will be an accomplishment in getting it to grow. But if you have any insight on milling we take it too.

Thanks for information that you have in advance.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
From what i have gathered. stated in pots similar to how you start other plants. Once the rice develops 4 leaves it is transplanted and flood and maintain an inch to inch and half above the ground at all times.and let it grow from there. So we are going to start it like we would a tomatoe or pepper. when it reaches the 4 leaf stage well will put it in a biger pots then use a plastic tub filled with water to keep the 1 to 1 1/2 inch of water above the dirt. I have no idea if this will work it is really just an expiriment to see what we get. We will go from there.

G

·
How many frost-free growing days do you have left this year? Might be a little late for something like rice.

.....Alan.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
We are not going to grow a lot. No more then 20 seeds or so. It will do most of its time inside, where the will be plenty of light and correct temps.

I got the seeds from http://www.ars-grin.gov/npgs/searchgrin.html Its the USDA Agricultural Research Service. They will send you free seeds. have to search what you are looking for in the Accession Area Queries. Then fill out the Request Germplasm on the left hand menu. Just have to read the descriptions some of the seeds are intellectual property and it will say if it is concidered gene modified. Those you dont want.

·
Glowing in The Sun
1,385 Posts
Rice likes to grow in 5 inches of water to be exact. The seed is planted first, then the ground is flooded and the seed germinates and grows in the water. In the Spring it looks like a green mist over the water in the fields. Northern CA is the home of premium rice growing - all over in the Sacto Valley. If you do a little research online you can find out more about growing it properly.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.