Growing potatoes in hay?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by ~PrairieGirl~, Jul 11, 2006.

1. ~PrairieGirl~

~PrairieGirl~ Well-Known Member

This is are first seroius garden here, we have had garden at our other house but not much room so we just mostly grew things like tomatoes and green beans. So we dicided to try potatoes this year. So we laid them on the ground and then covered them with hay and have been covering every time the leaves peak through. Are we doing this right? And where are the tpotatoes going to be? In the ground or in the hay?

2. fin29

fin29 Well-Known Member

You're doing it right. When the plants touch across the row and shade the ground you can stop adding hay. The potatoes will be in the ground but under just a few inches of soil. When we grow them this way we have no potato beetle problems, either. It's a win-win-win situation: better yield, less work, less bugs.

3. Topaz Farm

Topaz Farm Well-Known Member

Now I have a question. If you keep adding hay has the leaves pop up, how do they ever touch and shade the ground? And can they be planted on hay with hay on top too?

Just wondering because when/IF we ever get a garden this is the way I would like to plant the potatoes.

4. Fire-Man

Fire-Man Well-Known Member Supporter

All my potato's were above the ground, just under the hay. I put my seed potato on the dirt--mashed it down but not covered with dirt---added several inches of loose hay but enough that you could not see any dirt. When the potato tops popped through I added a few more inches then quit adding hay----Waited a few weeks--started lifting the hay and stealing a few small potato's-------by the time the tops started dying. I had stole/eat all of them----LOL--Quess I need to plant alot more next year. Randy

5. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

Be sure to put the potatoes in contact with the soil when planting them. The roots have to go in the ground for the nutrition nessesary to put on the new potatoes.

6. fin29

fin29 Well-Known Member

I prepare the soil, put the seed potato on top of the soil, cover with 6-8" of straw or hay, and that's usually it. Sometimes I might have to add some, but usually it's enough.