growing potatoes in bins

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by flutemandolin, May 25, 2005.

1. flutemandolin

flutemandolin mark an eight, dude!

This year I am going to try to grow potatoes in 4 x 4 wooden bins that dh built. For soil we are using aged composted horse manure. My question is, how closely can potatoes be spaced? Right now I think I have more seed potatoes than I have space for in the bins; I am thinking with 6 to 8 inch spacing I can plant sixteen tubers in each bin.

And no, where I am (Minnesota, zone 3) it's definitely not too late to plant potatoes! :D

2. wy_white_wolf

wy_white_wolf Just howling at the moon

12" spacing would be 16 tubers by the square foot method. I still think that might be a little close for potatoes. I think 16" might be better which would be 9 per 4' by 4' bin.

3. Meg Z

Meg Z winding down

I've got mine at 12" spacing, not in bins, but in heavy mulch. I love it. I've been eating new potatoes by just peeling back the mulch and grabbing a few...doesn't seem to hurt the plant at all! And the close spacing isn't a problem with them.

Meg

4. Paquebot

Paquebot Well-Known Member

8" spacing is only practical with normal planting in single rows. For intensive planting, the square foot gardening method indeed will work! Don't crowd them any closer than that 12".

Martin