Growing Peaches in NC

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Bummer1002, Jul 26, 2005.

1. Bummer1002

Bummer1002 Well-Known Member

2. Orville

Orville Well-Known Member

I buy from KyKy in GA, (I think that's how it's spelled), Stark Bros, and one other I can't think of. Peaches need lots of care, and if you want any amount of usable fruit and healthy trees, you will have to use some insecticides and fungicides. Peaches are suseptible to everything bad. Probably the most important spray is a dormant oil spray, applied just as the buds begin to show in the spring. I then monitor the bugs and blights, and spray only as much as is needed. Don't plant in cold spots, because they bloom early. They also need regular pruning. Read about each variety to find out when they bloom, ripen, and whether they are freestone (I won't can anything but freestone... Ranger variety is great for canning....and fresh eating). Don't plant too many.....I have 9, and they provide plenty of peaches, as well as keeping me busy babysitting the trees. Don't plant them near flowers bees will regulary visit....you don't want spray drift to contaminate the flowers, thereby endangering the bees. Keep flowers...including clover ground cover...away from the peach trees.

3. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

Contact the agriculture extension agent and order some peach trees through the forestry dept of NC. There is a special rootstock available from them that prevents the problems with the jelly like oozing disease that occurs on the trunks of peach trees in NC. I have forgotten what the rootstock is called but some of the big nursey houses have trees that are grafted to same. Burpee is one of them. Otherwise the life of peach trees is short lived here in NC.

4. Orville

Orville Well-Known Member

Re: rootstock. You're thinking of nematode-resistant rootstock. Most, if not all, peaches are now grafted on such rootstock. The gummy ooze you mention is caused by the peach tree borer, which will attack any tree of any rootstock.