growing mushrooms

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by arnoldw, Feb 5, 2005.

1. arnoldw

arnoldw Well-Known Member

Hi folks, Does anyone grow white or oyster mushrooms in there garden.
    I have enough shaving and horse manuar for the job. Ive just never tried to grow mushrooms in it. I found plenty of sites to get the spoores. I really want to know how it turned out and what to watch for when growing mushrooms.
    Thanks all Arnold

2. Don't know about the white but the oyster mushrooms grow on logs in the shade and mostly during the rainny seasons of fall and spring. You buy innoculation capsuls and insert them into fresh cut hardwood logs and then patiently wait for up to a year before they begin to grow. Once they start growing they can produce for several years. They don't require manure at all only rotting logs. This last fall I became interested in growing mushrooms also and done as much google search as I could about them.

3. arnoldw

arnoldw Well-Known Member

Thanks for the imformation. I read that they can be grown in horse manure and wood chips and since I have a abundance of booth I thaught I would try growing some. Thanks Arnold

4. kittiemeow

kittiemeow Member

Since we are on the subject of growing mushrooms which is something I am also interested in, I have read about growing them outdoors in compost and in greenhouses (under the bench in the dark). What I want to know is what prevents a foreign spore from some deadly variety from infiltrating it's self into your growing medium? It's probably a silly question but I really want to know.