Growing Mums

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by randy in central missouri, Jul 19, 2005.

1. randy in central missouri

randy in central missouri Well-Known Member

I took the plunge and ordered 300 mums starts. I am a little late getting started. 300 was the minimum. i got 6 different varieties of 50. they were .38 cents per. 3 bales of pro mix at $20 per. pots were .20 each, and a bag of granual fertilizer. All told about $300 for 300 plants, with shipping. the girls where i work helped me plant them all. and they are doing great. We have a big open house in the fall and we hope to give half away and sell the other half for $2 each and break even. Its a win for me, i wanted to do try it, the boss paid the money, the girls do the work. The girls really had fun mixing the mix with water and planting all the flowers. it went great.

any one else sell mums or fall flowers.

randy

2. mulliganbush

mulliganbush Well-Known Member

Growing mums for profit is a really tight margin game. Your plan looks to be good in that enjoyment is a part of the gain.

I don't grow potted mums, but I do grow other potted plants, mostly perennials, for sale, and I do cutflowers.

Good luck with the project.

Ray

3. Wannabee

Wannabee Foggy Dew Farms

I am thinking about doing this with my 2 children next spring here in Indiana...Did everything turn out OK?

Thanks!

4. mommagoose_99

mommagoose_99 Well-Known Member

I went into the mum business when I was 7 years old. Saved up my allowance and my mom ordered them for me. As your plants grow it is necessary to pinch back the plants so they bush out. All of those little pinched stems can be rooted in water. I was growing cushion mums which are perennials. I sold my cuttings to family members. I do not know if the cuttings will flower the same year or not but it is something to look into.
    Linda

5. randy in central missouri

randy in central missouri Well-Known Member

Lets see. 2005 mums were ok, i planted them a little late. They were not great, not bad.

2008 Mum were a different story. We started with buying 600 mums. 12 different varieties. We started earlier and planted them about the middle of June.

I did this as a project with my girls that i work with. So the point was not to make money, but to make the campus that i work at more beautiful. Also to give the girls something to do. We planted, fertilized, trimmed, watered, moved, moved, moved. Watered twice a day. Getting them to water well in the dog days of august was very hard. I did not fertilize enough.

Then when we had open house the first week of October. They were a hit. We invite all the ladies that donate to us, to come for a visit and lunch. As they left, I passed out mums. Most could not take them for free, they had to give me something. I could not turn down money.

So out of 600, 100 died because of lack of good watering. We planted 100+ on the grounds(hopefully to make cuttings next year.). Gave away about 300+. We made the original cost back. Lost on the labor cost. It was a huge success.

This could be a huge homestead money maker. The guy down the road grows about 10,000 a year. Sells them for $10 each. He's got the drip system with fertilizer mixer. They are huge. I don't want to compete with him. But growing them sure made me look good at work.

randy

6. Rocky Fields

Rocky Fields Failure is not an option.

What a difference a location makes.

About 5 weeks ago I went into Walmart and they were closing out their mums in a 1 gallon pot for a $1 a piece...they had a couple hundred and they were all in bloom and nice condition.

RF