Growing mint in a pot by the door?

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Ann Mary, Aug 30, 2005.

1. Ann Mary

Ann Mary Well-Known Member Supporter

I would like to have a pot of mint by the front door so I can pick off a leaf before I leave for town to chew on and have naturally minty breath! :)
    I have 2 kinds of mints in large pots sunk in the ground (so they wouldn't try to overtake the world) but they aren't doing much. Anyone know the Perfect way to grow container mint? I think mine must not have the soil it prefers or something. Thanks for the help! :goodjob:

2. Nan

Nan Well-Known Member

I think that there are some mints that like pots better than others. I got some pineapple mint from a friend of mine and it makes a gorgeous potted plant. If you keep it pinched back it just gets bushier and bushier. Most mint needs full sun. Is your's under the eave of your porch? It also likes well drained soil. Pineapple mint doesn't have the strong mint flavor though????

3. Ann Mary

I have spearmint and peppermint and they are still in pots in the ground out in the herb patch. I was wondering how to get more results out of them there and also how to grow one in a pretty container by the door. Though I'd should check what others are doing before I uproot and take a start of one of them. Pineapple mint is pretty! Snce I'm in a zone 5 I know that I will have to plant the pots in the ground and cover for winter protection but what kind of soil do they like? Mine is in dark black prairie soil that has a bit of clay in it. Maybe potting soil would be better??

4. Nan

Nan Well-Known Member

My peppermint was in plain ole Oklahoma dirt! I think that stuff could grow in concrete if you wanted it to stay out....If you WANT it to grow somewhere....goofy stuff doesn't! It figures! My pineapple mint is in potting soil because we moved and I didn't want to put it permanently anywhere. I would think that what you have it in would be fine. Maybe the clay doesn't give it enough drainage? I don't know....Mine is just in a pot without a saucer under it. I have it on the side porch steps and it is doing well. Have you kept the flowers cut off? That is one thing I do to mine. I pinch the flowers off so that it will keep growing and get bushier.

5. culpeper

culpeper Well-Known Member

Mint will grow anywhere in any soil as long as it is moist and well-drained. I reckon it would survive an atomic blast. It has an aggressive tendency to want to take over the world, so it's best kept in pots (only the bravest of the brave will plant it in the garden!), but you'll need to give it a decent-sized pot if you don't want to be repotting every 10 minutes or so! Those roots get 'bound' quite quickly, and the plant will choke itself to death that way. As soon as you see roots running round and round the pot, you'll know it's time for a larger pot or a division. Not only the roots, but the runners (above and below ground) will help it propagate itself. I've seen mint grow more than a metre deep and across a roadway (underneath), so you have to watch it like a hawk. In hot climates it grows best in partial shade. Usually if grown in full sun, the leaves will be smaller (but stronger flavour). It's good to cut back mint fairly often (you will, if you use it!). Mints will cross pollinate with other mints, so remove flowers to prevent that happening. You can cut mint right back to soil level, and it will still come back - more robust than ever. Mint has just one saving-grace which prevents it from becoming an absolute garden-thug - it does become dormant in winter. Stick a rusty iron nail into the soil with mint - mint likes a bit of iron.

6. hisenthlay

hisenthlay a.k.a. hyzenthlay

I have a bunch of mint in pots--orange mint, spearmint, chocolate peppermint... They all do great, even in pots that are probably too small. I planted some in compost and dirt, and some in potting soil. They live on my concrete patio and get almost a full day of sun. I cut 3 or 4 long sprigs off each plant every few days for iced tea, and I make sure to snip off any flowers. The only problem this summer has been keeping them moist, between the small pots and very little rain.

On the other hand, the mint I brought into the house and put in a big sunny window died pretty quickly. The leaves started getting silver and brown spots, then turning gold and papery and falling off. Same thing is happening to the basil and marjoram I brought in, though. I think the pots might've had a disease or something. Does this sound familiar to anyone?

7. Ann Mary

thanks for the help! I did neglect to deadhead my mints in the herb garden,,,mayby that's why the are so short and doing nothing. Next year I'll pay a little more attention to them!

8. Hummingbird

Hummingbird Well-Known Member

Want some of mine?? :eek: I have chocolate mint, apple mint (do NOT buy this - it does more than TRY to take over the world - I think it's doing it!), spearmint and peppermint. They all work well in a pot but I think the suggestions about keeping it cut back and moist but well-drained will help you the most. I take the pruning shears to mine and it seems to really like it! :rolleyes: Go figure! LOL

Nance

9. Ralph Roces

Ralph Roces Member

I have some of them in a terracota pot, and they are doing very well, well they do very well everywhere, in PA our soil was bless by the Lord, and the grown is specially good to the mints plants, Do you know if we can feed them to rabbits? my pet rabbit seems to like them but I am scare to feed them to him.

10. Ann Mary

I know of no reason not to feed it to rabbits....my own like it...but as in everything...MODERATION. It is quite good for tummies, etc.