Growing Herbs

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Nomad, Mar 13, 2005.

1. Nomad

Nomad Well-Known Member Supporter

I posted a similar thread on the Homesteading Questions board thinking it would get more widely read. But I think it strayed from my original intention which was to see if anyone grew herbs to sell. I am thinking of growing regularly used kitchen herbs...like Basil, etc...in small pots for sale at the local flea market. I'm already a vendor with a paid space, so there would be no added expense there. I'm trying to find out how much on average a small pot of herbs would sell for. I know the bigger they get the more they are. So I'm thinking maybe a 2 1/2" to 3" pot to start. Then if they don't sell right away I could transplant into a 4" pot if necessay. So if anyone has experience doing this or a link to a place where I can find some good information, I would really appreciate your help.

Thanks,

Nomad

2. barefootfarmer

barefootfarmer Member

people either use herbs and know what to do with the plants when they buy them or they dont so be prepared to give information to those who dont. what to do with the plant when they get it home, how to care for it, and some possible uses /recipes for the plants all which of course could be preprinted on info sheets that go with the sale of the plant. Having a couple of herbal books at your space for them to browse is also helpful. I would go with the basic cooking herbs to start off with. good luck

3. Marcia in MT

Marcia in MT Well-Known Member Supporter

We've found that herbs grow better in pots that are deeper than the pots usually used. We use 2¼" x 3½" "rose pots", 32 per 1020-sized flat, in flats that have "pockets" molded into them to hold each individual pot. We use that pots that touch on all sides so there is no space for soil to fall down between them when we fill the pots already in the flats. Without running out to check, I think they're made by T.O. Plastics.

We use Fisons' Sunshine #2 soilless mix; the formulation with some added pumice would be an excellent choice, too.

Here in central Montana, we sell them for $1.75 each, and more for ones that have been moved up to 4½" pots.

They don't sell well at our local farmer's market (although they do well for us at our place), but every market is SO different!

Good sales to you!

4. Nomad

Nomad Well-Known Member Supporter

Thanks for the information. I located a site that has a brief explanation of each herb that I plan to print for the customers. I'll look into deeper pots as well. I think they will sell at our market. Everything else I take does well from rocks to sunglasses to makeup. There seems to be buyers for everything. At the worst, I'll have lots of herbs to use myself. :D

Nomad