Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Goshen Farm
7,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure where to put this so please send me to the right folks if need be!

I have 18 or so acres in pasture, I would like to plant Bermuda hay grass next spring when the weather gets warmer before monsoons.

Do I need to find a disc thing and disc my field first, before I put out seed? thanks sis

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
do you want to completely replace the pasture w/ bermuda, or just stiffen up the pasture w/ the bermuda?

If you want all bermuda, then yea, disc it down.
If you want just some bermuda, mow/graze it short and no till drill it in.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
I would lightly disc it, lime the heck out of it and mix in the Bermuda with some of the natural. If the soil is healthy the Bermuda well take over on its own.

·
Banned
292 Posts
For grass I like a tiller better than a disc. But as idigbeets said, if you dont need to completely replace the pasture with bermuda then you'd want to till ( or disc ). Otherwise you could drill ( if you can find one ), or you could use a chain drag ( much cheaper than drill ) and drag over that pasture to expose some soil and then seed.

Some people use the 'frost seeding method', they seed over the ground once its frozen ( late spring usually ) and as the frost melts, pockets of soil open up and suck the seed in. I have no experience with that method.

Whatever you do, its all just a matter of putting the seed in contact with the soil. I like to till lightly, this doesn't destroy all the pasture, just chews it up a little. Then seed, then manure, then drag it all in with a chain. There's more than one way to seed a pasture;)

·
Premium Member
1,908 Posts
We had coastal Bermuda both in the pasture and a lot in the lawn along with Bahia when we lived in AR and it took over everything, like the garden and any flower bed. You can't mulch with spoiled Bermuda hay because any seeds it carries will sprout and happily grow through the mulch. The zombie apocalypse in green. I hate Bermuda. A neighbor gave me some Bermuda hay of a type bred to survive a normal Missouri winter in hopes I'd buy it for my animals. I didn't mulch with it but just what was scattered around the lot was enough for me. It took me a couple of years to rogue out all that accursed stuff. Bermuda does make good hay but it makes some big problems. I'll find another pasture grass for our place, thanks.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts