growing grapes in crop dusting areas

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Ann Mary, Feb 25, 2005.

1. Ann Mary

Ann Mary Well-Known Member Supporter

I live in an area that is crop dusted and I have heard grapes don't like sprays. Does anyone know about that? I'd really like to grow them but I don't know if they will tolerate the spraying. Thanks!

2. Idahofarmergal

Idahofarmergal Well-Known Member

It depends on what they are spraying.
    I've heard that people, pets, wildlife, our water supply, and our environment don't tolerate sprays well, either. They are poison, after all :(

3. shorty'smom

shorty'smom Well-Known Member

check into your laws there, but in my state they are supposed to warn you 48 hours in advance and check to make sure there are no people in the area they are spraying. Do they always do it? No. They are supposed to replace any plants they destroy on your property. They are supposed to pick a day where they won't get much drift too. Do they always? No. They are only allowed so much drift. Do they care? It doesn't seem so. There are other ways to spray pastures and crops. It's just cheaper to spray everything in the country from a plane than to buy the equipment to spray and actually WORK yourself at spraying, hire somebody with the equipment to spray, or hiring somebody to use your equipment to spray. Oh, G_d forbid you should have to give some local person a job so they can feed their family and keep their home. Nope we want their little towns to dry up and for all the people to move to the city with us and be peons in our other, more lucrative industries.

And you can always try to get your Money back if there is a mess up in the spraying too. (yeah right) It's the Multimillion dallar farmer/rancher, or Mega-agribiz's idea of "farming" to poison the countryside and give all we little guys cancer while killing our little family farms off, while they sit in air conditioned offices in the city. One in a while they might come "ride" their monster tractor for kiks, and fly over ther cattle herd in their plane. (they haven't figured out how to replace cowboys yet though. Cows pretty much need somebody to be a cowboy. When they do that, all will be lost.

Uh oh. Sorry for the rant. Me and rich, "farm" to write off, mega-agribiz don't get along very well. I've got nothing against being rich, just against taking away other people's livelyhood for greed.

Been crop dusted myself. Row covers might help, if they let you know they're going to kill your vines in advance.

4. shorty'smom

shorty'smom Well-Known Member

You know, DH and I are family farm owner/operators. We spray our crops and pastures, from the ground. We have to hire the spraying on crops (can't afford the equipment) but you can manage brush with a spray tank, a chain saw and a couple pair of feet. At the same time you can use a less "nasty" herbicide sometimes when you spray it directly on the plant. Yess, rich guys, you're doing it less expensively, but at what cost?

Whose cost?

It might even come back to bite you someday.

What goes around comes around.