growing garlic

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by nobs, Sep 8, 2005.

1. nobs

nobs Well-Known Member

How and when do I plant garlic? What do I do to it once it is in the ground? Do I water it through the winter? How is it harvested and when? Can I use the garllic I buy at the store? Thanks

2. Snakeoil

Snakeoil Well-Known Member

I plant garlic in the spring with everything else. Always does very good, when the tops brown and fall over you know there thru growing and can be dug then. I hang in the garage with onions and let dry.

3. GrannyG

GrannyG Well-Known Member

I dig up everybodys wild garlic around here, nice big bulbs with lots of cloves on them, love to use it in my meat. Have one guy who called me, knows I love garlic, and he is going to "get rid of it, turn it under" so I told him I would be there to get a big bunch of it. I keep it all through the winter, then plant it as it begins to dry out or turn real green, so I have garlic all over the place, but use other people's and let mine grow.

4. VictoriaAnn

VictoriaAnn Victoria Ann

http://www.seedsofchange.com/enewsletter/issue_37/garlic.asp

I ordered some of their garlic this year, and I bought 4 nice bulbs of a purplish looking garlic at my local natural foods store to plant. I feel a little more confident that it will do well since the sign said it was from Iowa (not China), and it is very fresh looking.

5. Pony

Pony STILL not Alice Supporter

6. Mrs_stuart

Mrs_stuart Well-Known Member

I plant my garlic on Halloween and pull it on the 4th of July (or at least that is my guideline to help me remember when to do it) ... I love to plant it, I actually feel like I cant really mess it up, lol!! In fact it was the first thing that i planted when i decided to start gardening.

I have planted the garlic from the grocery...I just look for good garlic like the stiff neck and use it. Some people say not to but i tend to not listen to some people :shrug: try it and see what you come up with...then try something else next year or in spring.

Belinda