growing garlic

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by nobs, Sep 8, 2005.

1. nobs

nobs Well-Known Member

How and when do I plant garlic? What do I do to it once it is in the ground? Do I water it through the winter? How is it harvested and when? Can I use the garllic I buy at the store? Thanks

2. Snakeoil

Snakeoil Well-Known Member

I plant garlic in the spring with everything else. Always does very good, when the tops brown and fall over you know there thru growing and can be dug then. I hang in the garage with onions and let dry.

3. GrannyG

GrannyG Well-Known Member

I dig up everybodys wild garlic around here, nice big bulbs with lots of cloves on them, love to use it in my meat. Have one guy who called me, knows I love garlic, and he is going to "get rid of it, turn it under" so I told him I would be there to get a big bunch of it. I keep it all through the winter, then plant it as it begins to dry out or turn real green, so I have garlic all over the place, but use other people's and let mine grow.

4. VictoriaAnn

VictoriaAnn Victoria Ann

http://www.seedsofchange.com/enewsletter/issue_37/garlic.asp

I ordered some of their garlic this year, and I bought 4 nice bulbs of a purplish looking garlic at my local natural foods store to plant. I feel a little more confident that it will do well since the sign said it was from Iowa (not China), and it is very fresh looking.

5. Pony

Pony Well-Known Member Supporter

6. Mrs_stuart

Mrs_stuart Well-Known Member

I plant my garlic on Halloween and pull it on the 4th of July (or at least that is my guideline to help me remember when to do it) ... I love to plant it, I actually feel like I cant really mess it up, lol!! In fact it was the first thing that i planted when i decided to start gardening.

I have planted the garlic from the grocery...I just look for good garlic like the stiff neck and use it. Some people say not to but i tend to not listen to some people :shrug: try it and see what you come up with...then try something else next year or in spring.

Belinda