Growing Garlic

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by MoonShine, Apr 18, 2005.

1. MoonShine

MoonShine Fire On The Mountain

Geez,I hope no one else has made a thread like this :p

I want to grow garlic....but I can't find it anywhere. I have called every local nursery and they almost act like I'm nuts. Is growing your own garlic so uncommon? Even worse,I have no idea how to go about it....if I order from a mail order place,will it come as some sort of seeds,or will it be like planting cloves? Any special growing tips? I live in Kentucky....if that matters :)

2. Snakeoil

Snakeoil Well-Known Member

I plant the individual cloves taken from a head of garlic. Just make sure the small pointed end is planted upwards. This years cloves are already up.

3. Ed K

Ed K Well-Known Member

The best time to start garlic is in the fall. Break apart the head of garlic into individual cloves (leave the papery covering on the individual cloves. Plant about 3 inches deep with the root end down. Cover with some mulch if you like.

In the spring when the snow is off the garlic will sprout up. This is one of the best things about garlic it always makes me feel like I'm "ahead of schedule" to have a crop coming up when it''s too cold to start the spring garden.

Being from Kentucky does matter since the root likes a cold period of dormancy before sprouting.

In Western Pa I usually plant sometime around Halloween and harvest sometime around the 4th of July.

As far as "buying seed cloves" goes there are a number of catalog sources for many many varieties. I don't think it's carried by any of my local nurseres either. Once you buy the seed you can save last years cloves and plant again.

4. WisJim

WisJim Well-Known Member Supporter

You should get some results from planting grocery store garlic. Better would be garlic from local growers--check the local food co-op or farmers market in the fall when garlic is ripe. Garlic is planted in Sept-Oct here in Wisconsin, and starts to show a little before it freezes in a warm fall. Ours is about 6 to 10 inches tall right now and doing great.

Jim

5. Paula

Paula Well-Known Member

Ronnigers, Johnnys and Southern Exposure Seed Exchange are three places that carry garlic. I've seen it in lots of catalogs, these are just three that come to mind right now.

6. Paquebot

Paquebot Well-Known Member

A problem right now would be to obtain anything other than "generic" supermarket types. They would be early softneck types. Those will last almost a year if properly stored and thus are often available for spring planting. They are the garlic for the South as they do better in hotter climates. Many softnecks are not hardy in the North so spring planting is best in zones 4 and 5.

Hardneck types are the ones which have very varied tastes and normally planted in the fall. I never lose more than a clove or two and usually get 100% from each hardneck variety. However, storage time is much shorter. Even under the best home storage conditions, my absolute last hardneck cloves were sent out last Wednesday. I would not guarantee that any would grow.

To sum this up, your best bet now would be to get some from your supermarket. It would be the same type which is available from seed companies right now. For anything else, you'll have to wait for fall shipment. Possibly watch this forum as I may have a garlic offer around the first of September.

Martin