Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
An anonymous complaint about Karen Baumann's front-yard garden in Sacramento, California led to a fight by local gardeners against the city's landscaping code, which stated that gardens could take up no more than 30 percent of the front yard.

After a public hearing where Baumann's 11-year-old twin sons testified, dressed as a carrot and a tomato, the city changed the law.

:)

Interesting article!

http://www.cnn.com/2007/LIVING/wayoflife/07/24/veggie.patch.ap/index.html

Beth

·
Registered
948 Posts
That was a good read, thanks for posting. Personally, I get enough "bad vibes" from one neighbor (Mr. Round-Up Rodeo) about my backyard - I think he'd faint dead away if I planted in the front too!

·
Premium Member
5,001 Posts
Dente deLion said:
That was a good read, thanks for posting. Personally, I get enough "bad vibes" from one neighbor (Mr. Round-Up Rodeo) about my backyard - I think he'd faint dead away if I planted in the front too!
So you'd be Rounding-up Mr. Round Up Rodeo if you plant the front yard? :p

·
Nohoa Homestead
5,398 Posts
Dente deLion said:
That was a good read, thanks for posting. Personally, I get enough "bad vibes" from one neighbor (Mr. Round-Up Rodeo) about my backyard - I think he'd faint dead away if I planted in the front too![/QUOTE

I'd tell Mr. Nosey Rodeo to mind his own business asap! Maybe it's time for a privacy fence.

donsgal

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think it would be fabulous to bring back victory gardens!

Edible gardens can be beautiful, too. And they make so much more sense than spending thousands of dollars on shrubs. Fruit trees, blueberry bushes, carrots, beans, etc. I'd be thrilled if my neighbors planted gardens in their front yards!

Beth

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
I liked the part of the article where the man in Oklahoma City said that his organic fruit trees and vegetables allowed him to eat in a way he would never be able to afford if he was buying it all. I know what he means to some extent. I had a lot of plums this year,(organic more out of laziness, cheapness and letting the chickens run all winter than any other desire :rolleyes: ) ate them till I was sick of them and I even have a bunch in the freezer. To buy that amount of plums, organic or not, would be beyond my ability to pay for even if it was broken down into a few trips to the grocery. I have no idea what organic plums go for, but I bet it's at least a couple of dollars a lb.

I have a neighbor, they don't live close, but the wife is always making some snide comment on how tacky my front yard looks. Planted feed corn out there too, and it's all brown and ready to be picked. I bet she can't stand that! :p

·
Registered
766 Posts
bgraham said:
Seriously, was that you? That's awesome! :clap:

Beth
That was seriously me :) . I'm such an introvert that I would have never brought up the article myself but since you posted it, I took the plunge and fessed up!

I gave the reporter way more information than she possibly needed for the piece she was doing, but she liked my story so much she encouraged me to flesh it out and submit it for publication. Which I think I might do.

·
Registered
634 Posts
hunter gatherer said:
I was featured in the article as well. I am the first gardener mentioned in the piece.
Awesome!

I have a tiny fromt yard, maybe 8' wide, but I've convinced dh to plant it next year. Little does he know I'm planning on and herb garden there :) Of course my side yard is huge, and it's the one you see driving by, and also where the garden is. But in the country it's no big deal for someone to have there garden in plain sight <gasp>! even with the nice orange fencing to keep the deer out. I bet that would go over well in a town.

I love driving by seeing what people have planted, and I always wonder how they seem to keep all the weeds out, and their gardens are so much nicer than mine.

·
Registered
948 Posts
hunter gatherer said:
That was seriously me :) . I'm such an introvert that I would have never brought up the article myself but since you posted it, I took the plunge and fessed up!

I gave the reporter way more information than she possibly needed for the piece she was doing, but she liked my story so much she encouraged me to flesh it out and submit it for publication. Which I think I might do.
Well, I hope you're extroverted enough to let us know when it's ready! :)

·
Five of Seven
3,295 Posts
Dente deLion said:
Isn't that something? They get upset if you plant your whole yard with edible plants, but if you spray your whole yard with toxic chemicals nobody bats an eye. :shrug:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts