growing bamboo

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Kygardengal, Apr 20, 2006.

1. Kygardengal

Kygardengal Well-Known Member

I have a friend with a very mature stand of bamboo. The biggest ones are about 20 ft high. There are a lot of new shoots coming up all around the stand. She said I could just "help myself" to the new shoots. Yeah....Now....
    Do I just dig them out and replant? How much root do I aim for? Will they even transplant this way? The new shoots are all around the stand and are about 8-12 inches high. Can anyone please advise me on this as I don't want to mess this up. I plan to take them this weekend.

2. btai

btai Well-Known Member

before you replant, just make sure your grandchildren's grandchildren's grandchildren will want the bamboo, because once established, you won't be able to get rid of it.

My neighbor planted it and it's now taking over the back of my yard after it took over all of his...he's very popular because of it...

3. Sherpadoo

Sherpadoo Well-Known Member

LOL! My aunt had the same problem with her neighbor! They tried and tried to kill the bamboo that crept under the fence but never did get rid of it! It's pretty hardy stuff. My DH used to bonsai with bamboo and it doesn't take much root to get a good start. I've also seen it in craft stores with just a few roots coming off of each one and they do great. It also needs sunshine to be pretty happy.

4. Kygardengal

Thanks, I didn't realize they were all that invasive. I never thought of them
    litereally taking over. I do believe that I will instead "thank" my friend.....harvest a bunch of canes from her and "not" take any sprouts onto my property...LOL....that way, I'll have a supply of canes and not the hassle of invasion.... :rolleyes:

5. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

No, no, tell her 'thanks' and harvest a ton of them! They are really good eating!

6. Kygardengal

Good Eating????As in bamboo shoots? Tell me about it..it must be only the really small ones....Yes, I will just harvest hers....lol.... :hobbyhors

7. holleegee

holleegee Well-Known Member

if you get the clumping bamboo it isn't invasive like the running bamboo. The clumping bamboo sends out underground shoots about 1 to 3 inches every year (if you are lucky) the running bamboo can send out underground shoots as far as 100 FEET!

Most of the "lucky" bamboo you see rooted in water that is popular lately isn't actually bamboo it is Dracaena sanderiana http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dracaena_sanderiana

I had the running bamboo planted at my old house. I (well my dad's backhoe) buried a plastic 55gal bucket with the bottom cut off with the top of the bucket level with the ground and planted the bamboo inside the bucket. It has been there for over 5 years now and hasn't spread outside the bucket, I wish I would have brought a start with me when I moved.