Growin up in the country 40-50 years ago.

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by oldhoot, Jan 23, 2004.

1. oldhoot

oldhoot In Remembrance

Yeah, I know this is supposed to be on the barter board --but--. I now have my first book ready for sale. Info on my website--. http://oldhootgibson.tripod.com. Short stories about growin up in the country. $14/ea includes postage. oldhoot

2. heelpin

heelpin Well-Known Member

Oldhoot, this is a good idea, don't know how many people will be interested but I wish you sucess with it.
    Some things I remember from growing up on a small farm in the South, swim hole with cable on tree to swing out, playing cowboy and Indians, making a bow and arrow, smoking cornsilk, crossvine, cotton leaves, sneaking a sip of homemade wine, setting hooks on the creek, shelling corn and going to mill, bringing in the cows and feeding, having a Coca Cola, going to the movie show, listening to the radio, killing a chicken for dinner, killing a hog in winter, making link sauage and smoking along with hams, gathering eggs, going squirrel hunting, making a dumbbull, having to work hard and not a worry in the world.

3. Ana Bluebird

Ana Bluebird Well-Known Member Supporter

Yep, I remember those days too, but from a girl's perspective. It was tough, let me tell you, cause we had dairy cows that the girls had to milk twice daily (the boys horsed around too much and wouldn't do it right), from the time we could pull on those tits till we moved away. And haying every summer. I loved school because it was so much easier AND I had friends there. We were poor too, the out-house, no TV, did our own butchering, canning, and there were days when we didn't get much to eat, etc. Tough days and I was just a kid---imagine what the parents were going through!

4. soapmakermom

soapmakermom Well-Known Member

Hoot, I remember the wonderful stories you used to post on Countryside! I hope you do well with selling your book. Come back and tell us some more stories on Homestead Today, ok?
    Mary