growin cucumbers on a trellis?

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by happy@home, Apr 14, 2005.

1. happy@home

happy@home Well-Known Member

I've heard you can grow cucumbers on a support to save garden space and bending to pick and weed. How do I do it? Should I plant them in a tomato cage to support them or won't that be the right way? What about a chicken wire fence, will that work and if so how high should it be? Any other ideas appreciated.

2. Cindy in NY

Cindy in NY Well-Known Member Supporter

We use a two sided snow shield for our cukes. From the side it looks like an upside down V. I put seeds a bit in front of one side and the plants do the rest. Because of where the sun is,we only plant cukes only on one side (lettuce on the back side) but they usually grow over the top to the other side. You could probably use a tomato cage as long as you can reach inside it to pick them.

3. steff bugielski

steff bugielski Well-Known Member

I always grow them on the fence. They do get heavy and tend to bend the fence. They grow down the other side and then some. I would love to build a 6' high fence with a top about 3' wide then another 6' down and plant lettuce under it. Maybe someday.
    steff

4. southerngurl

southerngurl le person Supporter

Trellised is the only way to grow cucumbers!

I just like to drive in a couple of t posts, and put some trellis between them. You can also use cattle panels and bend them into an arch, and plant cukes on either side of it.

5. jlxian

jlxian Also known as Jean Supporter

I grew mine on a tomato cage (with large spaces between the wires) last year and it worked very well. I had worried the fruit would be too heavy and would fall off, but it worked out okay. I staked the cage so it would not blow over. This is a WHOLE lot better than trying to find the cukes on the ground!

6. happy@home

Thanks for the ideas. We will definetly be growing the cukes upright this year. Do you think it affects the number of cucumbers you get, either more or less? I just need to know if I should alter how many plants I put in.

7. Paula

Paula Well-Known Member

We plant them about 8 inches apart along the base of a cattle panel supported by t-posts. We mulch them with barn bedding which takes care of the higher nutrient needs and conserving moisture. DH got nostalgic last year and planted some cukes "the old-fashioned way." It was awful, they took up tons of space and we had to bend over and search around on the ground for them. Never again!
    We plant cantalopes the same way.
    We use the same system for pole beans, but we cut the panels in half and stand them up on end so the trellis is 8' tall.
    This is the best system we've come up with after years of thought and experimentation. The panels are heavy duty, never wear out, and are easily supported by t-posts, which makes them a breeze to pull up and move to another spot.

8. Meg Z

Meg Z winding down

My garden beds are 3 x 10, with T-posts on either end, and field fence run down the middle. Anything that needs tying up, or a place to climb has it, and anything that doesn't just grows around it.

Meg

9. crashy

crashy chickaholic goddess

Everything viney we plant but the fence it looks so nice and the veggies dont get all dirty and stay nicely shaped. Plus my folks come over and get stuff and they don't have to bend over so far.

10. NativeRose

NativeRose Texas Country Grandma

I always grow my cucumbers on a fencing between two metal posts. Just don't do what I did the first time I tried this. I used chicken wire and the cukes grew through the wire. What was I thinkin' :haha: I now use hog wire or field wire. I had so many cucumbers last year I was giving them to everyone I knew. There are quite a few things that you can grow on fencing. Canteloups and jsut about anything that vines.

11. Mountain Lady

Mountain Lady Member

Hello,
    We have always made a mound and planted five cuc. seeds like on a dice. Then stick a large tomato cage on top right after they sprout. This has always worked great for us. I usually plant four or five mounds (one or two at a time for a couple weeks apart) and have cucs all summer til early fall.

This year I'm going to move them to a trellis to see how that works. Hmmm. I was going to do a tall trellis and plant on both sides - but I might try just a bit shorter of one and see if they grow down the other side. We are making ours in a V shape also.

12. tamilee

tamilee Well-Known Member

Hi Y'all;
    I've wanted to but never tried growing cucumbers on a trellis or fence. Do I have to tie the vine on the fence or trellis or will it climb it and stay there?
    Have a blessed day.
    tamilee

13. Last year I placed two landscape timber poles upright and nail a pig panel between them. My cuke vines quickly outgrew the panel so I nailed a peice of romex wire across the top. Then tied bailin twine from the top wire down to the top of the pig panel for each vine and trainned the vines up the twine. And, they still out grew that which was about 8 ft. tall. So this year I'm going to nail my panel to the very top of the timber poles and wait till the vines are long enough to reach the bottom of the panel before I start trainning them to climb. Should save me some time and twine material.

To answer some of your other questions they were a lot easier to find on the trellis then looking all around on the ground for them and they seem to do a whole lot better for me. The vines send out little runners that will wrap around whatever it can get a hold of so there is no needing to tie them on.

14. tamilee

tamilee Well-Known Member

Hi r.h.;
    Thanks for the info; so the cuke vines have tendrils that are capable of supporting the weight of the fruit when allowed to grow verticallly. That's cool. I've got the landscape timbers and hog wire so I should be able to get it set tomorrow!
    Thanks again;
    Have a blessed evening.
    tamilee

15. happy@home

Thanks for all the tips. It sounds like a great way to grow cucumbers, I'm going to give it a try.