grow tomatoes upside down

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by TnMtngirl, Jan 4, 2005.

1. TnMtngirl

TnMtngirl Well-Known Member Supporter

Have you seen the upside down tomato growing things,in the new seed catalogs?I plan on making one or two out of coffee cans,cant see paying 17.00 for a tomato planter.Mary

2. southerngurl

southerngurl le person Supporter

I don't think a coffee can would be big enough. Most people use a 5 gallon bucket.

I did one this year, it didn't work out well because you have to water so much. I don't grow much in pots, so I'm not used to all that annoying watering. Not worth it for me, I have plenty of space to grow stuff.

3. DayBird

DayBird Big Bird

I have a friend who grows some this way every year. He hangs about 6 5gallon buckets from a swingset frame. He enjoys it. They're hooked up to a drip irrigation system.

4. diane

diane Well-Known Member

five gallon buckets work.....but.....as has been mentioned before.......be prepared to constantly water, either yourself or with drip system.

5. shadowwalker

shadowwalker Well-Known Member

I had several in the backyard, I put the plant and dirt in the buckets, 5 gallon, and then added mulch to the top of the dirt. My plants grew about 3 to 4 1/2 feet. and my only trouble was the wind kinda blew the plants around one day when I was gone and cut the outside of the tomato stems on the bucket hole. I moved them. I grew cherry, big boy, lemon, cherokee, pear, they all had bunches on them!!! shadowwalker

6. Thumbbuddy

Thumbbuddy Well-Known Member

I also had the same problem with the wind blowing the tomato plants around and the stems finally rubbed until they broke off, I will try again this year and put a stick in the bottom hole and secure the plant to it like you would do when planted upright. What did other people do to keep them from blowing and breaking off?

7. Sondra Peterson

Sondra Peterson Well-Known Member

I haven't seen this so can you all tell me how to do it??

8. JennDBass

JennDBass Wannab crunchy mama

I don't know if this will work for me or not. Durring the tomato season my plants get huge! I have never been able to stake them with anything. I can hold up one vine above my head and the end is still touching the ground. Something in the soil... or could be the humid heat or the 14 hours of sun for 3 months durring the summer? Who knows... Tomatos LOVE my garden. I do have a bucket... and I am interested... I will try it to save some space.

9. southerngurl

southerngurl le person Supporter

Try small determinate tomato plants for this method.

10. Sondra Peterson

Sondra Peterson Well-Known Member

OH THANK YOU!! Southerngurl!! I am going to do this

11. Sylvia

Sylvia Well-Known Member

My prayers are answered!!!! A squirrel proof device!!!!! Halleluyah!!!!

This will get me a prize with the garden club for sure!

Thanks!

PS The peppers are almost dry enough to mail, southerngirl.

12. countryboy01974

countryboy01974 Well-Known Member

you can also plant in the top of the bucket also. really saves space but also makes the tomatoes need watering even more.i planted basil in the top of mine shades soil some might help on the watering don,t know :confused: