Grow out cages??

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by Milk n' Honey, Apr 20, 2006.

1. Milk n' Honey

Milk n' Honey Well-Known Member

What do you all do for grow out cages? I have two litters of kits that are getting close to 1 week old. I don't know what the next stage should be. When should I move them and what should I move them to? I want to grow them out for fryers. Thanks for your help!!

2. Michael Leferink

Michael Leferink Well-Known Member

We move the doe and litter together to a clean cage at 4 - 5 wks. We wean the kits at 8 wks. by moving the now pregnant doe (rebred at +- 38 days after kindle) to a clean cage. Any kits that weigh 4.75 lbs. or more are slaughtered then. The rest stay in the same cage until they make weight. If it's a large litter (more than 6) and we have an empty cage, we will split the litter to give them more room. All of our cages are the same size (30" x 36" x 18") so that any cage can be used for any reason. Just keeps things simple.

This is just what we do, other folks will use different breed back/weaning schedules as well as different sized cages. It's a matter of finding out what works best for you.

Good luck,

MikeL

3. Al. Countryboy

Al. Countryboy Well-Known Member

When I visited a guy that sells meat rabbits I ask this question. I had noticed that mine did not seem to nursing mom after about a month. He said that many does start weaning at this time. He leaves the kits in with mom until about two weeks till her due date. I separated mine from mom at 5 weeks and then they went into a rabbit tractor at six weeks and they are over 8 weeks now and things seemed to be ok. My pens are 24w x 36L x 18h and with 8 kits and mom it seemed to be a little crowded. I will try leaving the kits in a little longer this time and see how things go. Other does may allow the kits to nurse longer and am sure that the kits would grow off faster. This was also my doe's first kits so she my nurse longer this time.

4. twohunnyz

twohunnyz Pacific Northwest

We use our normal size cages, just making sure there is adequate open floor space depending on outside temps (more can be in a cage when it's cold, less when it's warm or hot). Also, we move the Doe to her new cage at weaning, leaving the kits where they are; less stress on them. Somewhere between 4-8 weeks seems to be the time frame used by most breeders.