Grow bags

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Jenn, Apr 9, 2005.

1. Jenn

Jenn Well-Known Member Supporter

Is there such a thing in the US other than the earth box I read about? Here in England, where the tomatos usually have to grow in a green house or between May and September (frost last night, still can be frost in May, but zone 8! for winter low temps!), they sell flat plastic bags of compst mix you cut a few planting holes in the top, poke a few drainage holes side/bottom, and then tuck a cuke or tomato or pepper plant into the holes (1 every foot or two of bag). After always learning don't ever crowd tomato plant roots it's been so wierd to transplant a tom maybe shoving root in sideways from hole and bending it up out of hole, and getting great harvest with several feet tom growing up string in greenhouse, and then year's end composting the bag contents which is chock full of roots. Can also be grown in this bag on the stone patio- bag and stone warm up better than dirt in garden.

2. zel

zel Well-Known Member

They had grow bags here too several years ago. I used several that I made from large plastic bags and they did work great. I had mine on the south exposure and they did OK. Now I have plenty of acreage to plant on, but still prefer raised beds as they are much easier to keep weeded. What part of England are you in? I believe your temps. are similar to ours in western Washington. We are across the Strait from Victoria, BC, Canada.

3. suelandress

suelandress Windy Island Acres Supporter

Park Seeds sells grow bags. Last year I had strawberries and cherry tomatoes in mine. I suggest stcking a preforated pipe down the niddle of each to make watering easier. I like these. Think I'll try string beans and cukes in them this year :)

4. GrannyG

GrannyG Well-Known Member

I grew tomatoes in the grow bags last year. I bought them from Park"s Seed Catalogue. My tomatoes were beautiful and very productive.What I liked was that I could move the bags as I wished for more sun or less. People would stop to see the tomatoes growing on our old telephone pole and gave me the nick name of the "bag lady". I did strawberries in them too, but they did not do as well.In the fall I just moved the bags to the greenhouse before the first frost, and we had tomatoes for quite awhile last year.I will definitely use the bags again.