Group Insurance w/Nat. Ass'n Self-Employed

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Ken Scharabok, Jul 26, 2004.

1. Ken Scharabok

Ken Scharabok In Remembrance

If you qualify for being self-employed, you might want to check out the group medical insurance thorugh the National Association of the Self-Employed (www.nase.org). On their home page, to the left, is another link which will get quotes from a number of other insurers.

Ken Scharabok

2. BCR

BCR Well-Known Member

We've had this insurance for several years. The quote actually beat out an alumni policy. Note that it is cafeteria style in that you pick and choose the coverage you want, such as dental, prescription, outpatient testing, etc. A local person will even meet with you.

3. Ken Scharabok

Ken Scharabok In Remembrance

I heard their ad (Merlin Olson is their spokesperson) on the way back from the Hardys on the 4th. While there Yvonne said the only reason she was working part-time was to get health insurance for themselves. I let her know about NASE and she sent me a e-mail she had put herself and two kids on it. Robert will have to go with the IN state plan for those who cannot get insurance elsewhere due to a preexisting condition. She said dollarwise it will be about the same. However, she is no longer tied to that particular employer. This means if she can find an alternative source of home-based income, she can quit.

She also commented one reason her insurance was high was mostly female employees - who tend to have higher health care costs. With NASE I suspect it is more balanced and may even be tilted toward mostly men.

Ken Scharabok

4. OD

OD Well-Known Member

I got an ad about this today & had thrown it away, but decided to look at it again. My DH is self employed & our health insurance is crummy & expensive. It goes up about $100 every year if I don't raise the deductible. Since we haven't had any large medical bills, the deductible doesn't get met, & we have to pay everything out of pocket, plus $500 a month for insurance for 2 people. Sometimes I think it isn't worth it. Thanks.