Ground Rules for the BF Forum...

Discussion in 'Bible Fellowship Forum' started by Kung, Oct 31, 2006.

1. Kung

Kung Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Welcome to the 'new and improved' Bible Fellowship Forum! To improve upon what worked in the past, while precluding the occurrence of what did NOT work, we have established some new 'ground rules.' The rules will be dynamic (subject to review by the mods); if something needs revision, you can be sure we'll give it the proper attention. However, keep in mind that a 'relaxing' of the rules with respect to 'debate and discussion' will be VERY heavily dependent upon the conduct of the members of the forum.

1. For the time being, the Christian Forum will be limited to prayers, praises, and encouraging responses (with one notable exception, to be expanded upon in #2).

2. Discussion of Biblical topics will be allowed (i.e., "What The Bible Says About..." or "Need Advice On..."), but the posts may *ONLY* contain verses of scripture. Examples of allowed posts:

- Posting of scripture from any Bible translation currently available on Biblegateway.com is allowed; posting of commentary on the verse (whether personal opinion or extraBiblical) is NOT. Let the scripture speak for itself. The idea is to begin a project to create a topical reference to the bible which lists scriptures that have to do with different topics. An example will be forthcoming shortly.
    - Posting of Scripture verses to counter someone's post, or to provide context for a previous post, is allowed. For instance, if someone appears to be 'cherry-picking' a Scripture, and ignores the verse preceding/succeeding it that would disprove/nullify their point, one can post a response verse with the word [CONTEXT] before it.

3. No obviously inflammatory posts. There is nothing wrong with starting a thread to obtain SCRIPTURAL advice from others on a subject, but any obviously inflammatory threads (i.e., "What The Bible Says about Those Lousy Stinkin' No-Good UnBiblical Republicans/Democrats") will be deleted or locked.

Please keep in mind that while we are fallible, we will always strive to do our best, both in our moderation of the CF Forum and in the way we live our lives in general, so that in the end, Christ will be glorified here. We call ourselves Christians for a reason - we all follow Him, no matter our differences in doctrine or denomination We should all conduct ourselves so that our lives AND our posts here reflect that. There are occasionally non-Christians who participate in this forum, and they are most welcome here; however, by participating in this forum, all members, both Christian and non-Christian, agree to the rules set forth here.

(On a personal note, I would ask that everyone please pray for the moderators - we need it, just like anyone else; for the success of this forum; and above all else, for the glorification of Christ through the efforts of EVERYONE in this forum. :))

2. MOJILL

MOJILL Well-Known Member

Kung thank you so much for taking the time to put this together and getting the forum back up. I appreciate it.

I have to admit though I've read the passage below about 3 times and I'm still confused. So I understand better what we're supposed to do let me ask you a question.

If someone asks a question - and someone responds with scripture and their interpretation of that scripture - and then someone comes along with a different interpretation - discussion would naturally follow that would have to include personal commentary.

I'm not sure how to avoid that - unless we don't ask questions at all. Is that the concensus of the mods?

Sorry I'm dimwitted -- if the answer is in front of me I apologize! :) (or maybe I should just wait for the example?)

Thanks again for your time and effort in here.

Jill​

3. thequeensblessing

thequeensblessing Well-Known Member

I just asked this exact same thing in the Admin forum. I actually thought it was just me who was being dense. I'm glad I'm not alone at least. ;)

4. Kung

Not a problem, although for what has to be the 234th time :p it's NOT just me. It's me AND Cyngbaeld. It just so happens that I'm around more. (I'm a computer geek - go figure. :p)

And therefore, for now (I don't know if this is permanent, or long-term, or short-term, etc.), we're just posting the Scripture itself. If you disagree with something, the idea (again, for now) is that we are to do so Scripturally. For instance, let's say someone is goofy enough to post a thread titled "How God Feels About Killing Babies....." and then posts Psalms 137:9:

Someone comes along and says "Hey! That seems to say that the Lord is all for killing babies!" So, to correct, them, they then post this:

making it pretty clear that what's going on is that someone is lamenting the Babylonian destruction of their land.

Right now, there's really NOT a way to avoid it, other than to just avoid it. :p And yes, it was/is the concensus of the mods - this isn't something that any one person came up with on their own. It was the subject of much discussion in the mod forum. :)

The whole idea is to get people in the Word. As much as we all loved to post and opine in the old Christian thread, I can honestly say that I did not spend all that much time in the Word. The new format, as it is currently setup, will force a few things:

- will force personal opinion to be completely eliminated for the time being
    - will force us to get in the word more (hopefully bringing us closer to the Lord)
    - will help us to learn more Scripture
    - will serve as a sort of 'online topical reference' we can refer to in the future

I don't know that it will stay this way forever - I don't think it will. But being as a major factor of the closing of the old CF forum was the huge amount of opining and debating and discussion - very often not based on anything more than personal opinion and one's interpretation of Scripure - it is something being enacted for the short term.

5. MOJILL

MOJILL Well-Known Member

Okay - that helps. Thank you

And thank you too Cynbaeld!!! :)

Jill

6. Pony

Pony STILL not Alice Supporter

I have to admit, I was avoiding the forum before because of the things already mentioned, but look forward to this new format.

Thanks!

Ivy

7. Jerngen

Jerngen Perpetually curious! Supporter

Yeah! Thank you BOTH mods! :)
    Altho I will admit on a personal level that reading the debates & different peoples interpretations and such helped me grow tremendously by hitting the Book and thinking things out for myself. Far more so then reading my numerous Bible "topical reference" books. Then again I am becoming convinced that I'm just wired differently then most people! :baby04: :p
    I look forward to seeing what the new forum brings :nerd: :)

8. Kung

For the record, yes, I am aware of the fact that the 'subforum-level view' of the board (for lack of a better term) shows that there's 1300+ threads/posts in this forum, and they're sort of nowhere to be seen right now. :p More than likely, it's just one more thing that Chuck has on his plate to do. I believe it was/is his intention to have them archived in this forum; I'll ask him about it. :)

9. kesoaps

kesoaps Well-Known Member

Thank you Kung and Cyng for taking this on!

10. 6e

6e Farm lovin wife Supporter

Ditto to Kesoaps post. :)

11. mary,tx

mary,tx Well-Known Member Supporter

If I'm understanding correctly, there is no discussion allowed. I'm sorry to see the forum reduced to this because of a few hateful people.
    Personally, I don't see the point in taking turns posting a scripture reference. None of us interpret the same scripture the same way, anyway.
    mary

12. caroline00

caroline00 Well-Known Member

Mary, My understanding is that this is a starting point. That the forum will progress and develop with time and the consent of the powers that be.

no matter, how we each interpret scripture, we will always benefit from reading/typing it.

13. nduetime

nduetime I am a Christian American Supporter

God bless the mods! Thanks guys, I really hope this works out well for everyone. I for one am excited to see scripture presented in a meaningful and respectful way to each other.

14. 6e

6e Farm lovin wife Supporter

I have one quick question on your "context" point......
    Does that include posting verses from other places in the Bible or only the verses surrounding the verse in question?

15. Wendy

Wendy Well-Known Member

I am with Mary on this one. I know the forum was a mess before this, but I don't see how you can have any meaningful posts without any discussion. Why a person can't give the resean for why they interpret something the way they do. Otherwise you have no idea what they believe or why they posted a certain verse. I know the mods had to start somewhere, but I sure hate to see no discussion allowed. I guess I'll go back to lurking because I just don't know the verses like most of you do, so I will not have much to contribute if we are limited to quoting scriptures.

16. caroline00

caroline00 Well-Known Member

well, if you go to that site they posted, they will have a search engine where you can put in key words and find verses that contain those words. Then you can look them up in your Bible and read the verses surrounding them if you want.

They have many Bible versions on that site and you can use them right there on the internet. Try it, you might have a bit of fun.

17. KellyHill

KellyHill Well-Known Member

Woo Hoo! It's back!! :bouncy: :banana02: :banana02: :clap:
    I really missed it when it was gone!

Lord I pray that You, in your infinate wisdom, rule over this forum, that we would encourage, teach, and lift each other up with gentleness and compassion. I thank you for the moderators who are taking the time to look after this forum and ask that it be a blessing for them. And I pray for Karen that you would lift her up and hold her in the palm of your hand and bring her comfort, peace, and relief from pain. In Your Holy name Amen

18. Kung

Well, in the past we've all said "Man...we really need to watch our Christian witness. We need to not let out passion for debate override our love for our fellow man"....and then we go right out and do the same thing all over again.

Trust me when I say that no one mod decided "Aah, those lousy Christians are being mean. Let's just close the forum." :p It was after repeated PMs complaining about the lack of courtesy; several threads that 'blew up' in the forum, people who left and threatened to leave due to the aforementioned events; and so on.

So obviously more than a few people are a bit gun-shy and cynical right now. As far as many of us can tell, if we were to allow complete unhindered discussion, it could go back the same direction we just came from, and that's not what we want.

This is NOT to say that it will stay this way. As Caroline00 says above,

I would agree with both points. This is not where it will stay - it is a starting point.

As far as your comment about posting Scripture references, I would have to respectfully disagree. I would submit to you that ANYTHING that forces us to see/read Scripture again is going to edify us. I know that when I get into the Word, for whatever reason, I get interested in it...and then I start to read the footnotes, etc...and before you know it, I've just done my own Bible study.

And to be completely blunt, when an entire subforum needs to be shut down because of our conduct, getting back into the Word to edify ourselves first is exactly what we need. *nods*

19. Kung

As far as I understand it, anywhere in the Bible. I'm thinking of 2 Timothy 3:16-17:

20. Kung

In short, because that's exactly how the whole forum got closed in the first place. People were so intent upon not only giving their reasons for their interpretations, but pointing out how THEIRS was right, to the exclusion of all else.

With all due respect, wouldn't this be a good reason TO post here? It'd mean you'd have to crack open that Bible - which is part of what we're trying to encourage here. Make no mistake - this is no judgment on anyone as far as their Biblical knowledge. If you think I was chosen to be a co-mod because I 'know the most' about Scripture, you're wrong there. :p I need to crack open my Bible and learn just as much as anyone else does. :)