ground cover/grass suggestions needed

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by ach, Feb 19, 2004.

1. ach

ach Active Member

We have a small yard & two large dogs that have killed off the grass along the paths they run each day. Can anyone offer suggestions of grass seed/ground cover that can handle a lot (and I mean a lot!) of traffic? Oh, we're in zone 5b, and have very clay soil....

Anne

2. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

I believe there is a short fescue grass that will stand up to heavy trafic. Walmart did sell it in the spring. There is also a fescue called Kentucky 31. This makes a good permenant grass for hay or pasture, but it isn't the same. You will have a problem getting anything established as long as the dogs are allowed to continue to run the area.

3. CountryFried

CountryFried Well-Known Member

That is true about the dogs and traffic. There is a ground cover. Purple wintercreeper euonymus. It's hardy to -20F. It is very tough, once established. You can even mow it to keep it growing into the ground, instead of up. Does the area get enough sun?? I did a lawn similar to this situation for a lady, but the real problem was... no sun.
    Extreme deep shade , which pacysandra or(japanese spurge) was the other suggestion for shade. Vinca is too fine a leaf for dogs to run on. Another suggestion would be to keep it mulched well. At least would keep the mud and dirt down. or pea gravel with landscaping cloth underneath.

4. ach

ach Active Member

Thanks for the suggestions. Most of the yard gets parial sun to full sun for 1/2 day to full day. One part only gets a little sun because of where the house is situated.

Anne

5. CountryFried

CountryFried Well-Known Member

The purple wintercreeper (euonymus) does best in sun to part-sun. Once it is established it should take off. For shady areas , I'd go with the pacysandra(japanese spurge).

6. suelandress

suelandress Windy Island Acres Supporter

Save a spot to grow in creeping thyme....that way when they roll in it, they'll come in smelling purteeeee :)