Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Nohoa Homestead
5,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dh is Candian which could account for this, but he calls ground beef HAMBURG (not hamburger). He will go buy a "thing" at McDonalds which he calls a hamburger (when it is ground beef on a bun), but when he is going to the meat department he gets a pound of "hamburg".

He says to me....Let's have sloppy joes for dinner, I'll defrost a pound of hamburg.

"WHAT? of WHAT?????" It drives me crazy when he does this.

Does anybody else call it this? Is it a Canadian thing or what? BTW his mother does this too.

donsgal

·
Registered
7,576 Posts
In my part of Canada, we just call it Burgers. :shrug: Like they might say, let's have a Burger and Fries. That means a hamburger and French Fries. Or if they want cheeze on it, they'll say "I'll have a cheeseburger and fries".
At the store, when buying fresh ground beef, we generally ask for ground beef rather than Hambuger. Haven't really noticed anyone offhand calling it Hamburg. What part of Canada is your DH from?

·
Registered
271 Posts
I call it hamburger meat too? :shrug: "To each his own"

·
Premium Member
1,842 Posts
I call it hamburger or ground beef. Had never heard of hamburger meat until I moved to the south. And hamburg is a first for me.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Our family always called it hamburg,it's not hamburger till you actually make a burger out of it :shrug:
Chas

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
A German friend calls ground beef – hamburg; only because he doesn’t have full command of the english language yet. I'm guessing that is why...

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Dh calls it "mince".

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Funny… he also will say “you need to be remembering me this”
Then I’ll say “you mean I need to remind you?”
“Ja, that is right.”
:)

·
Tub-thumper
1,588 Posts
My father's family, who are right across the pond from Canada, call it hamburg.

It catches me off guard; it's like they're stopping right in the middle of a sent.

/VM

·
Keeping the Dream Alive
1,270 Posts
Isn't Hamburg a city in Germany - and the people residing therein known as Hamburgers?

Beef burgers would be a more appropriate term, unless the patties were actually made from ham.

In Oz, we call it 'minced meat' - beef, pork,chicken, veal, etc, or just 'mince'; 'Ground beef ' sounds like a steer fell over.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
I call it hamburger (am from the midwest) Dh calls it chopped beef (from Texas/Mexican border) the kids call it ground beef (from the writing on the package) except the 4 year old calls it Hammer Burger (which is really cute).

The idiom that drives me nuts is my new aunt asks if I will turn the lights up or down rather than on or off, and she also says I brought it at Sams rather than bought, and there is boughten clothes or made clothes. She says its a Polish thing.

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
I used to call it Hamburg, now I call it ground beef I also used to call soda "pop" but when you move to a different area you adapt so people don't keep going "what?"

·
Registered
473 Posts
lol I call it junk(actually worse)... Haven't eaten it for years. Tom

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
ground beef isnt bad, Tom.... are you saying you dont like homemade hamburgers, meatloaf, salisbury steak, meatballs, tacos, chili, etc????

we call it hamburger whether it is raw or cooked

thread drift!!!!!!
I find it funny that it is a cow when alive and beef when processed, pig before and pork after, deer before venison after, chicken before and after

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
RachAnn in NW Okla said:
thread drift!!!!!!
I find it funny that it is a cow when alive and beef when processed, pig before and pork after, deer before venison after, chicken before and after
maybe that's because everything BUT pork, beef, and venison tastes like chicken? :shrug:

·
Registered
7,576 Posts
via media said:
My father's family, who are right across the pond from Canada, call it hamburg.

/VM
It must be a local thing in some parts of Canada to call it Hamburg. A few might call it that here, but truly I've not heard it in my neck of the woods. Ground beef is what it is, when you buy it in the store. It's also labelled as such, and the butcher calls it ground beef. What part of Canada did they come from?

·
Nohoa Homestead
5,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
moonwolf said:
It must be a local thing in some parts of Canada to call it Hamburg. A few might call it that here, but truly I've not heard it in my neck of the woods. Ground beef is what it is, when you buy it in the store. It's also labelled as such, and the butcher calls it ground beef. What part of Canada did they come from?
Guelph, Ontario.

We also cannot decide if turning the air conditioner to make the room cooler is turning it "up" or "down". LOL

donsgal

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
moonwolf said:
In my part of Canada, we just call it Burgers. :shrug: Like they might say, let's have a Burger and Fries. That means a hamburger and French Fries. Or if they want cheeze on it, they'll say "I'll have a cheeseburger and fries".
At the store, when buying fresh ground beef, we generally ask for ground beef rather than Hambuger.
That's the way we say it to.

It may be something his mother's family always says.

When My brother was little if it was foggy he always said it was "froggy" outside. We always thought it was funny so we still say it.

·
Pook's Hollow
4,570 Posts
Blame the Normans - when they became the ruling class, they ate "boeuf", "porc", "venison" - which are just the (Norman) French words for cow, pig and deer. :p Not sure about chickens!

Guelph, Ontario.
I went to University there! :) Still go up several times a year to visit friends.

As for hamburg/hamburger - maybe it's just his family? Although, come to think of it, I think I am inclined to say "hamburg" if it's the meat, and burgers if it's the cooked patties. I'm pretty sure my mother would say "hamburger meat" - but she's English. :p

1 - 20 of 34 Posts