Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
4,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How about that ground beef, eh? Pretty versatile food it is...

$1.99 per pound at the store these days.

How about in your area? Price at the grocery store?

I keep looking at the cows out in the field and thinking about that $1.99 figure... Probably don't want to add it up...

· Incubator Addict
2,852 Posts
It's funny, but one of my favorite frugal tricks is to buy super-discounted cuts of london broil or something similar, and grind them myself or have the meat counter do it. Some grocery stores will grind it for free, or cut to order. It comes out cheaper and leaner than buying hamburger, and it is easier to stretch when it's ground up than when everyone gets their own slab.

Of course, I seem to go in spurts where I will hit the store right when they are marking meat down every time I am shopping, and then not see anything marked down again for a couple months.

The highest percentage fat is usually $1.99 at the Aldi near us, and that is where I will be ground beef if I need it. It is even cheaper if you buy it in the frozen packages, usually about $1.50/lb. I can buy a large frozen package, and when I thaw it I cook several batches at once, then freeze them for later.

Another alternative is ground turkey. That used to be $1/lb for frozen, but now it is a little bit higher. I use it in place of ground beef in a lot of recipes.

Kayleigh

· Premium Member
9,315 Posts
The cheaper cuts of steak and roast are usually cheaper than decent ground beef here, too. I have't bought ground beef in over a year - it's just too spendy. I do grind up my own at home, though. I also buy chunks of boneless pork loin (1.49/#) and grind it for ground pork and sausage. Delicious, and a lot leaner/cheaper than store bought.

· Premium Member
5,925 Posts
I buy the hamburg with the 7% fat content and usually find it for about $2.19 to $2.29 per pound. Boneless skinless chicken breasts have been on sale for $1.49 a pound so we have been eating more chicken - and more beans!

· Registered
4,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The cheaper cuts of steak and roast are usually cheaper than decent ground beef here, too. I have't bought ground beef in over a year - it's just too spendy. I do grind up my own at home, though. I also buy chunks of boneless pork loin (1.49/#) and grind it for ground pork and sausage. Delicious, and a lot leaner/cheaper than store bought.
That's interesting, the least expensive steak around here is "cube steak" (is that even a cut of steak?) and it is $4 per pound.

· Premium Member
4,334 Posts
I've been buying beef briskets at $1.66 per pound and grinding them up for burger and it taste a whole lot better then the ground beef you buy at the supermarkets.

· Registered
184 Posts
We bought a whole deer from a local processor for $65. We use the ground venison in place of ground beef and can't even tell the difference.

We'd never had venison before, but wanted to save on our food bill, so buying the whole deer was a leap of faith. We are really happy with it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.