Ground beef left out overnight - quick advice needed

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by booklover, Oct 21, 2008.

1. booklover

booklover Well-Known Member

Due to (what I am assuming was) a miscommunication with my mother, who lives with us, about 3 lbs. of thawing beef chuck was left out overnight on our counter top. We don't have our heat on yet, so it was in the low 60's F, around 17*C all night long. When I smell the beef, it smells fine. It probably completely thawed to the core late last night, so it was sitting thawed on the counter top for about 5 - 8 hours.

My gut reaction is to not waste... cook the heck out of it and use for spaghetti sauce or something. I don't want to kill my family, though. What would you do?

2. chickenmommy

chickenmommy nosey, but disinterested Supporter

Well, the sanitation rules say to throw it away. I grew up with meat thawed in the sink overnight every night. No one died from that. If you stuck it in the fridge immediately when you found it out, and cook it to death when you cook it, I would bet it will be ok. But then there are those rules. You do what you are comfortable with.

3. michiganfarmer

michiganfarmer Max Supporter

My thought is if it was frozen when it was set on the table last night, it should be fine to cook it the way you described, but if it was already thawed before it was left out, I would not eat it.

4. LvDemWings

LvDemWings Well-Known Member

Is there any way you can cook it right now? I have done this a time or 2 and brown it thoroughly immediatly in the morning.

5. booklover

It was thawing during the evening. :(

6. Ohio dreamer

Ohio dreamer 1/2 bubble off plumb

Your nose and tongue are powerful weapons. If it smells OK, cook it up now. Once cooked totally take a small taste - how's it taste? If it passes the smell and taste test, I'd eat it as meat sauce or chili or some such item (giving it a double cooking). Freeze the extra.

7. steff bugielski

steff bugielski Well-Known Member

8. goatsareus

goatsareus Well-Known Member

I would throw it out. Ground meat is the most contaminated kind of meat there is. If it was a solid piece of meat, I would cook and eat it. Not ground meat. It is not worth getting sick.

9. michiganfarmer

michiganfarmer Max Supporter

...and it sat out all night after it was thawed? I wouldnt eat it..cooked or not.

I just would not chance it. food poisoning can paralize you. a pound of burger isnt worth the risk. throw it out.

10. AR Cattails

AR Cattails Well-Known Member Supporter

I'd throw it out and not think twice about it. I wouldn't take chances with my family's health over some hamburger.

11. MaineFarmMom

MaineFarmMom Columnist, Feature Writer

Keep in mind the people who suffered food poisoning because the food they ate looked, smelled and tasted fine. I'd throw it out. Better safe than sick.

12. ann fr

ann fr goat keeper

If you have cats or dogs I'd not waste it but give it to them.Don't feed it to you human family.

13. Rockytopsis

Rockytopsis A & N Lazy Pond Farm Supporter

I would not even think twice about it, throw it out, or dog food.

14. booklover

It's gone! Sitting on the curb with the trash. We don't have animals, so it really went to waste.

15. Rockytopsis

Rockytopsis A & N Lazy Pond Farm Supporter

I do feel better safe than sorry and I am sure we have all been there done that at one time or other. It was not too long ago that due to a miss communication with my own brain that I left a great pot of homemade chicken noodle soup out on the counter. My dogs loved it.

16. mnn2501

mnn2501 Dallas

Dogs and cats can get (and die from) food poisoning also.
    Toss it, is saving less than $10 worth the chance of giving your family food poisoning?

17. BaronsMom

BaronsMom Well-Known Member

If in doubt, throw it out! Food poisoning definitely not worth the misery! I know that's hard to do - and I've had to make the choice myself. But always a good lesson learned.

18. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

I would have eaten it. Look at it this way, any food-poisoning specie of bacteria that couldhave started growing on the beef, would have been killed during the cooking process. In other words, dead Salmonella, e-coli, etc. do not give a person food poisoning. And if by chance, botulism toxin could have been produced overnight (which I doubt) it too would have been inactivated after being cooked at boiling temp for 10 minutes. The only way the hamburger could have hurt you is if you had eaten it raw or undercooked.

19. Immaculate Sublimity

Immaculate Sublimity Seriously?

I'd have eaten it, too, in the days pre current refrigeration, the whole earths population didnt drop dead from warm meat. Cooking kills bacteria. you'd have had more reason to be concerned if you made that spaghetti sauce and left it in an aluminum pot in the fridge..dont ask me how I know that. 20 years later and I still refuse to even consider using aluminum anything to cook with.

20. Alice In TX/MO

Alice In TX/MO More dharma, less drama. Supporter