Gross gross

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by countryhick, Jun 6, 2004.

1. countryhick

countryhick Guest

Ok....this is gross..... I have a rabbit and we just got her. I got her free. she looked fine when I got her. But today I noticed that she had maggots on her under side. They where all over her. I took them off. But she isn't eating right. and she looks weird down there. It seems like around her glands she has puss. I know this is gross but I have no glue why this is happening. What could be wrong? Someone please help me. It seems that the rabbit was sick when I got it. It hasn't been 24 hours since I got it. I need help!!!!

2. jessandcody

jessandcody Well-Known Member

I know that maggots feed on dead tissues. Maybe she has an injury with dead skin or a deep infection. Just keep her quarantined since you don't know what it is. Sorry I'm not more help.

3. dale anne

dale anne Well-Known Member

maggots mean infection and dead tissue as the other poster said....the maggots may have helped by clearing away some of the dead tissue and make for live healing tissue.....treat her wound like ya would yer own..peroxide and bateria cream...if this wound is larger the a quarter ya might have to shave the area and use butterfly stitches...ya can get these at yer drugstore...just look like lilpieces of thin tape....pull the edges of the live skin[pink] together as much as you can and place the stitches across to keep the skin together....keep treating with peroxide and cream for a week or 2 untill you see the skin mending togther....if the edges of the skin look black...sorry but you will have to cut this away use an exacto knife[craft stores] to cut away to get a clean edge
    can also get a vitimin to add to water and food at yer local pet store....change stitches iffin need to but first place new stitches as close as ya can to the old ones....and peel the dirty stitches off real slow so not to disturb the healing tissues......good luck...dale anne

4. countryhick

countryhick Guest

Thank you for your input but the rabbit has no wound. That was my frist thought but i looked every where and no wound.

5. Tracy

Tracy Well-Known Member

When you say glands are you meaning her vulva? If you are seeing discharge it could be an infection or also VHD which is like rabbit STD. Either way, make sure she is away from other rabbits and diffently do not breed her.

You must make sure she is drinking. A rabbit that does not drink will not eat and will lose condition real fast.

If it was me she would be immediatley culled.

6. Buffy in Dallas

Buffy in Dallas Well-Known Member Supporter

I would take her back to the breeder immediatly. and get my money back or get a replacement. If it is an STD the breeder needs to know.

7. boren

boren Well-Known Member