Grocery store trimmings?

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by Jeffery8mm, Dec 30, 2006.

1. Jeffery8mm

Jeffery8mm Well-Known Member

I work next to a grocery store where I can get all of the free trimmings from thier vegtables. Carrots, cabbage leaves, packaged salads, lettuce and a host of otherr greens. The produce guy is a freind of mine and he saves just the green stuff and carots for me. I get a BIG box every two or three days.
    Is their any reason I should not take full advantage of this?
    Jeff

2. MaggieJ

MaggieJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Not all produce is good for rabbits. Especially avoid iceberg lettuce. Cabbage could cause bloat. Moderate amounts of romaine lettuce are okay. Chard and beet tops are fine. Root vegetables like carrots and turnip are good and the carrot tops are particularly good. I have heard that parsnips are not safe for rabbits, but have nothing to substantiate that. Apples and pear (but not the seeds) will make your bunnies happy.

Anything from the grocery store should be thoroughly washed. Never feed anything wilted or moldy and don't leave uneaten produce sitting in the cages.

The most important thing with feeding rabbits is to make any changes in their diet very slowly. Sudden changes can result in very sick, or even dead, rabbits.

The current thread titled "Garden plants for rabbits" has a lot more information than I can give you. I suggest you read it all before starting to make changes in their diet.

3. Jeffery8mm

Jeffery8mm Well-Known Member

Thanks Maggie!!
    Jeff

4. sunflower-n-ks

sunflower-n-ks Well-Known Member Supporter

If you also have composting worms, what you do not give to the rabbits, give to the worms. They will love it.

5. MaggieJ

MaggieJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Or get a pig or chickens...

6. slfisher

slfisher Well-Known Member

I've also done this with my rabbits, chickens, and ducks. It rocks.