Grocery Checkout Lines

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by SweetSarah, Nov 27, 2006.

1. SweetSarah

SweetSarah Well-Known Member

I wish that right next to the handicapped check out line and express lane there was a "Mom Friendly" checkout lane. No endless shelves of candy and bubblegum, no hanging hooks covered in balloons, squirtguns, and dress-up jewelry, no magazines huge pictures of sexy models in bikinis.
    Seriously, I think they would be pretty dang popular. I know I'd go out of my way to use them. How about you?

2. kbaldridge06

kbaldridge06 Member

hehe... That is such a great idea! I would be a fan and I don't have children yet. I do not like seeing half naked women as I am trying to check out. I also don't get the self check-out lanes. When I get a 10% discount for checking myself out I'll use them.

3. PcH8er

PcH8er Well-Known Member

In the FarmFresh grocery store that I used to go to in Virginia Beach, they had an isle that was like that, they had a sign posted above it that said "No Candy Isle". Thats the one I always took my daughter through. It was really nice to not have to deal with that.

4. 3sunz

3sunz Well-Known Member

There is a grocery store in the city near where I live that has those types of check out lanes. It is kid friendly and when I shop there, I do use that lane even if it means a longer wait!

5. SweetSarah

Wow, I had no clue these really existed. I think I may be sending a few notes to local groceries, or better yet, making a few calls. It's easier to throw away a letter than to hang up on a customer. :)

6. asher

asher Well-Known Member

I LOVE the self check lanes! THEY are candy free here, btw. ;)

But I love them b/c I don't have to wait in line and I am way faster than most of the cashiers around here, even with the four kids tagging along and talking to me. LOL The only thing that slows me down is when the darn things glitch and you have to wait for a cashier to come fix it. That doesn't happen very often.

7. COUNTRY WISHES

COUNTRY WISHES Well-Known Member

That is something that I like about the small market by us. They do have magazines near the checkout but they are primarily home or cooking magazines so the only thing that is bare on the cover is a holiday ham or turkey.lol

The candy, soda and chips are all in one aisle too, so if you don't want your kid (or yourself) to be tempted by that stuff you can just pass it by. The one larger market that I go to has the breakfast foods and the candy in the same aisle and the juices and water in with the soda. :rolleyes:

8. Arlod2

Arlod2 Well-Known Member

Let's hear it. those things are annoying amd can get a kid hurt.

I mean the tiny shopping carts with racing kids all over. and Heck you can't see them. and those over long montrousitys of half car and half cart. Half the people driving them can't do it. taking up the whole asile. or worest thier kids hopping in and out and almost getting hit by other people. Don't mention to me about going around a corner with the darn things.

rant off. Back to my corner with the flu....

9. asher

asher Well-Known Member

LOL We don't use kids carts. I tried once in Lowe's hardware at the kids insistance (because it looked like a race car). I had the darndest time steering that thing. Carts are not made to be that big/bulky/heavy! LOL

Hope you feel better soon! We're just getting over the flu here. Blech!

10. COUNTRY WISHES

COUNTRY WISHES Well-Known Member

I don't like those either. The kids are all the way in the front far from the parent and below most peoples eye level. I have seen kids hop right out in front of oncoming shopping carts and of course they could also do that in front of a car in the parking lot. They also take up more than half of the aisle which makes it hard to pass with another cart.

11. naturewoman

naturewoman Well-Known Member

Kids get bored standing in line, so why not a check out line for moms and kids that not only doesn't have all the toys and candy, but has a wall of comics for the kids to look at, or a coloring wall with washable markers or something...give them something to do so they don't wander off or start fussing?

12. Whimsy~

Whimsy~ Member

An isle like that would also benefit those of us who aren't kid friendly.

13. Melissa

Melissa member

That is a good idea naturewoman.

14. mama2littleman

mama2littleman El Paso

Military Commissaries have those lanes. Personally, I like them. I wish more stores would catch on.

Nikki

15. SweetSarah

My commissary doesn't. MAybe I should suggest it. And I love the "Expecting Moms and Moms of Little Children" parking spots up front. I wish more places had those too!

16. sullen

sullen Question Answerer

I have 3 kids and I don't need to avoid any isle...my kids know the meaning of "NO". Even my dd3.
    But when the older ones were little I used those isles. Before the foot came down.
    BTW, the last isle on the right often has no back, no space for candy.....

17. Lisa in WA

Lisa in WA Well-Known Member Supporter

I'd just like an aisle that didn't have Cosmopolitan and Glamour on display. We left a Safeway once when my oldest was about 6 and she asked me, "Mom, what's a sex position and how do you test drive one tonight?" I hadn't even noticed what trash was on those magazine covers until then. We also fielded questions about "rock 'em, sock 'em orgasms". Sounded a lot like a vintage toy we had at home. I called the store manager and asked that he explain what this was to my daughter since we had chosen to
    not expose our kids to this but his store had taken that option away. I was of course being facetious but he got off the phone as fast as he could. :p

Kudos to Kroger owned stores for requiring that the covers on Cosmo and Glamour be covered up to the title.

18. kitty32_z8

kitty32_z8 Well-Known Member

Oh I like the idea of a drawing wall at the checkout! That would save so many bored kids!