Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I probably shouldnt call it a grocery bill, as a good half was not food, but household things like laundry soap, etc. I am, however, still reeling at the 331.00 bill today. (walmart, so that accounts for part of it). I am determined to cut the food bill and the household supplies bill by half before spring. With that in mind, start hitting me with suggestions and tips please?

Keep in mind that we have just moved and had no garden this year. The plot for next year is hopefully being tilled this coming week.

There are 3 adults, and 3 cats. One adult drives truck for a living, so I need to be able to keep convenience foods in his truck that will last at least 2 weeks without spoiling.

Let the enlightenment commence!

·
Premium Member
5,750 Posts
My best thing is to check the weekly sales and stock up on things. This week New York Strip is on sale for $5.99 a pound, I know that ain't cheap, but it is $5 a pound cheaper. I can justify that for me. I get a bunch and repackage and take one out as i want it. Last week chuck roast was $3.99 a pound, about a dollar cheaper than stew meat, which is what I probably will use it for.
Chili was on 10 for $10 a couple weeks ago, not as good as what I make, but not a bad price for quick and easy for one.
ALWAYS watch the sales, and buy accordingly. watch the unit price also, sometimes brand names are cheaper than store brands.
Ed

·
I calls em like I sees em
13,911 Posts
Look up! There is a Tightwad Tips thread for every month and the old ones are archived. Some really good ideas shared, and the constant affirmation that being frugal is the right thing to do, can't be beat. It's easy to feel like a weirdo when family and friends aren't pinching their pennies, this is where you get your "frugal fix".

But the most effective way to stick to a budget - only take that much money with you to the store!

·
Registered
251 Posts
I don't know how close you are to an Aldi, looks like there is one in Lafayette, Marion and Indianapolis. I live in Missouri and we have Aldi here which is where I do almost all of my shopping. They are a no frills store and you have to bag your own groceries but they are way cheaper than anywhere else. I am always amazed at how much I save.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Kristinemomof3--i found a save a lot nearby. there is also a meijer, a kroger and a martins. im introducing the new room mate to frugal options. He's never even looked at price tags before!

Im digging through the archives and preparing to get back to how things worked for me a few years back. Making my own laundry soap, dollar store for shampoo and soap, etc. Some things I wont skimp on (yeast, crisco, etc) but other stuff is fine.

We do have the stuff to set up an outdoor clothesline, and bought an indoor drying rack too. I wont be using the dryer for much but jeans and towels.

Our preps currently include a chest freezer, a bread machine, and a dehydrator. Ill be making bread, I'm searching for a local place to buy grass fed beef and home grown pork. We have a local source of eggs too. Ive got to get the bills down in order to be able to save for spring when we need to buy fruit trees, and hopefully livestock. We have an entire acre and I want to make it as self sufficient as possible.

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
Sounds like you've got some good ideas of your own and others have suggested. i can add Low meat, high veggie meals/soups- and meatless meals once or twice a week. Eggs are an inexpensive protein option. Buying ingredients and not prepared food. Not sure about how to get healthy foods that can last 2 weeks without spoiling.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I just checked the prices at Lowes Food,Food Lion, and Walmart this week. Walmart has better prices then FL then Lowes. Walmart also has more choices on bread and some other things. Lowes and Food Lion was about or slightly cheaper on a few things. Wish we could join Sams but don't have the extra $

·
Registered
173 Posts
I just got back from a weekend trip to the local grocery store for perishables. I couldn't believe the price of butter! I has been paying between 1.99 & 2.39 a pound; tonight it was 4.20 a pound.
Yogurt was 89cents a 6 oz container and the larger 24oz size was actually more expensive when you figured out the number of servings; it was 3.99. :(
I have given up eating yogurt, but my diabetic husband eats a plain container every morning instead of milk.

I found a recipe for laundry soap which I will be making but until we have dairy animals; I don't know what to do to save on the high cost of dairy products.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I don't know how close you are to an Aldi, looks like there is one in Lafayette, Marion and Indianapolis. I live in Missouri and we have Aldi here which is where I do almost all of my shopping. They are a no frills store and you have to bag your own groceries but they are way cheaper than anywhere else. I am always amazed at how much I save.
I am almost a hr away. I want to look there sometime and looked at a ad online. Don't know if the stuff they have we would like with it being more of a different name items

·
Wasza polska matka
6,912 Posts
Shop the sales to stock your larder, then plan your meals around that. Canning has saved me so much over the years... Plus I give my jams and such to folks for gifts.
I was able to take advantage of a great sale on chicken because I was able to can it up . That last batch of chicken yielded 8 quarts of chicken for casserole, or tacos plus several quarts of chicken broth and 3/4 quart of schmaltz and a big pot of soup.

Rotate and stock your house like a grocery store.. Learn to cook from staples. Make your own convenience foods like canned soup, or even beans for quick dishes.

As others have said, read the tightwad tips. I check them first thing when I sign on to the website

·
Very Dairy
14,609 Posts
I just stopped at Aldi's this afternoon. A rundown of my purchases:

3 14 oz. boxes of Crispy Oats cereal (Aldi's store brand Cheerios) $1.69 ea.
Box of Marshmallow & Stars cereal (store brand Lucky Charms) $1.79
Box of Cinnamon Crunch Squares cereal $1.69
Dozen large eggs $1.39
Yellow cake mix $.99
2 lb. bag of thin spaghetti $1.49
2 lb. bag of angel hair pasta $1.39
Jar (30 oz.) of mayonnaise $1.29
Bottle (16 oz.) of ranch dressing $1.29
Bottle (48 oz.) of corn oil $2.59
3 bags of plain bagels $1.69 ea.
1 lb. butter $2.79
3 lb. bag of onions $.99
Bag of M&Ms candy $2.69

Total: $31.28

That's a lot of food for 31 bucks! :grin:
I have found the Aldi's store brand products to be of good quality. I can't think of any I've tried that I wouldn't buy again.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Al I can say is coupon and watch ads. Stores have a 12 week rotation on sales so when a product you use is on sale buy enough for 12 weeks. I shop at Krogers, I have their loyalty card and can download coupons from their website they also send me coupons that are tailored to products I use. I also get coupons on line, in the paper, magazines and even buy them from a clipping service when I want more than I can find. I used to make laundry soap but I have found that by watching coupons and sales I can buy it cheaper. We do also raise our own chickens and of course eggs and my cow will be going to the butcher next month. I also raise calves to sell to others to process. We have about a 3 - 6 month supply or canned and as we use it we replace it. We store staples like sugar, flour, yeast, ect in 5 gallon buckets. It does take time to coupon and shop wisely but you will get the time it takes down to a manageable amount.

BTW I did try Aldi's and was not at all happy with the quality of the products I bought. If you cannot afford a membership to Sam's see if someone you know who will let you go with them to shop.

·
Registered
4,848 Posts
I went to smart shoppers for the first time, save a lot, food lion was getting to high.
noticed bleach is $3.89 gal

·
Premium Member
5,938 Posts
Yowch. That's a pretty hefty grocery bill. We're al caught up in the price increases, and there are some good ideas here. Watch the sales and use coupons when you can are two good ones. I've gone to buying personal care and household cleaning products from Dollar Tree, one of the dollar stores that really has items for a dollar. I've had good results from their laundry, dishwasher and dish detergent. They carry a lot of name brand items and take coupons, too.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts