Grit magazine

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Charleen, Oct 17, 2006.

1. Charleen

Charleen www.HarperHillFarm.com Supporter

Anyone subscribe to this?

I just received a postcard in the mail that we can recieve a free trial issue. Then one year (6 issues) for $14.95. Apparently this is "The Grit" magazine that I remember from years and years ago because the cover reads "America's Rural Lifestyle Magazine for 124 years".

Anyone get this nowadays? Do you like it?

2. Windy in Kansas

Windy in Kansas In Remembrance

While I haven't seen "Grit" for a long time, be sure to check how frequent the publication of it is.

Capper's Weekly used to be a great weekly newspaper for those that didn't have time to ready a full newspaper. Now it is published bi-weekly so the news in it is stale before one reads it.

3. Charleen

Charleen www.HarperHillFarm.com Supporter

It's not so much the cost of subscription or frequency, I'm more concerned with how the publication is today compared to the one I remember from years ago. Has Grit also become 'yuppie' (for lack of a better word) like MEN?

4. Paul Wheaton

Paul Wheaton Well-Known Member

I got the invite and got the "free" issue. The bill arrived before the magazine.

I would like to see a magazine like this come out that put inte-grit-y (sorry, couldn't resist) ahead of marketing. Why not just send a real free issue. Along with an offer to subscribe? Instead, I have to subscribe and if I don't like it I have to write "cancel" on the bill and send it to them.

There was one article in it that I liked - but it was on a topic I felt I had already figured out. The rest seemed pretty weak.

I'm cancelling.

5. Paul Wheaton

Paul Wheaton Well-Known Member

Another issue arrived and it was just as weak: toys to buy for christmas, recipes, fluff, puff, fluff, filler .... there was one article about the needs for animal shelter - that was the closest thing to substance, but I felt like I didn't get a lot out of it.

6. tammy from wv

tammy from wv Well-Known Member

I agree with Paul. I remember the GRIT of old and this isn't it! I really didn't enjoy it. I am not going to resubscribe. If I were you, I wouldn't waste my money.

7. busybee870

busybee870 Well-Known Member

I used to sell the Grit when i was 10, it sold for 25 cents a copy, I didnt know it still existed.