Grinding rabbit meat ???

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by BearCreekFarm, Sep 17, 2005.

1. BearCreekFarm

BearCreekFarm Well-Known Member

Maybe Tracy or one of the other growers can answer a couple of questions-

One of our customers wants to buy some rabbit meat from us for her dog, who is on a barf diet. She wants it ground, so DH and I experimented the other day to see if our grinder would handle the bones, etc. The grinder did fine, but we were a little surprised and disappointed with the meat after it was done. It seemed a little "soupy", if that makes sense. We ground it shortly after DH butchered the rabbit and washed it off. We started with the organs, and that was a big mess- we wound up with organ soup.

So, wondering how we can process our rabbits in order to get a better quality ground product? Obviously we should have made sure the meat was completely drained of any water- guess we were too anxious to get to the grinding, lol! Should we chill the meat before grinding? How do you all handle the organs? Should they have been as "soupy" as ours were after grinding? If that is normal, how do you incorporate that into the packaged product without it becoming a big mess? What size grinding plate do you use? We used the #32 plate which came with our grinder and we have so far been unable to find any other sizes locally. But, if a different plate would work better, we can order one online, so advice on that would be appreciated.
    Once your meat has been ground, how do you package it? We will be freezing the meat before delivery since she wants a month's supply, but wonder whether we should vacuum seal it or just pack it in freezer bags?

I am sure there are more qustions I should be asking, but can't think of any off the top of my head. Any and all advice much appreciated.

Thanks,

Craig & Elizabeth

2. dlwelch

dlwelch Well-Known Member

I do. I can't imagine attempting to grind warm meat. Our meat is
    washed, drained and placed in the fridge for cooling.

Your customer will probably appreciate the vacuum sealing especially
    if placing into a frostless freezer. For our home use, we have one
    regular freezer and I'm not as concerned about the product drying from
    the "frost free" method. We also use those items fairly quickly.
    When placing items in our frostless freezer, I do vacuum seal. If I were
    selling all the meat, I would probably vacuum seal.

I don't grind the organs separately. They are mixed in with the
    rabbit. I've never had "soupy" ground rabbit. Sounds like quite
    an experience! Hope things go better next time.

I can't help with the plate size. I don't have a fancy grinder and
    it doesn't have a number on the separate plates....just fine, medium,
    and coarse.

Linda Welch
    http://www.texasrabbitconnection.com
    http://www.texasrabbitconnection.com/forums/

3. Willowynd

Willowynd Well-Known Member

Electric grinders? They make those? Are they too expesive? Seriously, all I knew about was the manual ones. I picked one up this last summer to grind chicken for my raw fed pups, I was also surprised at how soupy it was- and it was chilled. My problem was the mess as the clamp did not fit on my counter and my table is too nice to clamp it onto. So I used my grooming table. It was messy! Fortunately, it was less than a week when they were chomping the bones themselves- but if I could find a cleaner alternative it would be worth spending the money on a reasonably priced electric one.

4. dlwelch

dlwelch Well-Known Member

If you're only grinding for home use, check with EBAY. You might also
    check the Northern Tools site or catalogue.

If I remember correctly, I paid $90 for a grinder off EBAY.

5. Willowynd

Willowynd Well-Known Member

thanks- I will check it out.