Grinder/Mill for Bread Making

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by dheat, Aug 2, 2006.

1. dheat

dheat Well-Known Member

Do you think something like this eBay auction item would suffice to grind wheat for the purpose of bread making? I'm thinking about giving bread making a whirl, but don't want to spend a lot in the event the endeavor is short lived. Assuming this unit would work, what would be the disadvantages associated with it in comparison to something like a Country Living grain mill?

Thank you,

Doug

2. gccrook

gccrook Well-Known Member

It will work. However, it is slow, and it will not grind nearly as fine as some of the more expensive mills. If you are not sure about bread making, maybe buying whole wheat flour from the store or coop will be a better place to start.

3. SquashNut

SquashNut Well-Known Member

We have a hand grinder and it is alot of work, but you can make bread flour with it. It is a bit more course than store bought flour though.
    Check out the waltons feed web site. they have a grinder comparison page that might help you figure out what you need.
    i just bought a old stone table top model off e-bay. i should get it tomarrow.

4. annethcz

annethcz Well-Known Member

I recently bought a grain mill and considered buying something like this. There are a whole bunch of threads about grain mills in the Cooking & Craft forum- do a search and you'll find them.

I decided on the Family Grain mill- it was $110 including shipping (just the manual grinder, without the electric base). It gets a decent review from Walton Feed. I just got it, but so far it's working well for me.

5. homebirtha

homebirtha Well-Known Member

No, I don't think it will work well for bread flour. It would never get it nearly fine enough, even with grinding several times.

We have the family grain mill as well, and it works pretty well. I do have to grind the flour twice, and I wish now that I had gotten the motor to go with it, as my arm gets tired... but that's what the kids are for. ;-)

6. dheat

dheat Well-Known Member

All,

thanks for your replies.

As usual, I seem to be getting the cart before the horse. I think gccrook's advice is excellent: if I want to see whether bread making is for me, it would be wisest to skip grinding/milling and just buy floor. If I enjoy it, then invest in a decent grinder/mill.

Thanks again,

Doug

7. gccrook

gccrook Well-Known Member

Here's the thing. If you like making your own bread with flour from the store, then you will love your bread made with your own freshly ground flour, so you can't go wrong that way. Good luck to you. making bread can be a lot of work, but it can be soooo good.

8. Raftercat5

Raftercat5 Kathy in S. Carolina

I've been interested in getting myself a grinder, also. I have questions, tho, that I can't seem to find the answers to. If I grew my own wheat, or found a place to buy a sack of whole wheat, would it have to have the outer layer taken off before it's ground up into flour? I don't know if a grinder could do that. How does the wheat berry get taken out of the whole wheat? (do I sound like a city-slicker?) AND....if I DID get a 50-lb. sack of whole wheat, would bugs get in it before I could use it all? I don't have room in my freezer for it. It's filled with zucchini!!!
    - Kathy

9. perennial

perennial Well-Known Member

What i buy is Red wheatberries (winter), for my flour for bread - they are not red at all when i get them though. There are white/spring wheatberries which are softer and are used for other baking needs (not sure what), i use the hard red for everything. I simply put them in the top of my grain mill and grind away! My grain mill - Country Living is a handcrank one with a motor option. Very expensive, but made in USA and 20 year warranty and so simple if it ever did break, hubby could fix it - no electronics on it.

With my grain mill it grinds the whole berry into as fine a flour as you want it so you are getting all the nutrients from it - nothing to "shell". I believe it would be the same for the automatic ones also.

Before we moved, i bought a 25 lb. sack of wheatberries and vacuum packed them and my other grains and would keep 8 pounds in a tupperware container. Never had a problem. I ended up giving them away with lots of my food stores when we moved to another state. I know others will have more insight with this than I.