Grill ?: Stainless steel vs. cast iron

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by BCR, Jul 31, 2005.

1. BCR

BCR Well-Known Member

We are starting the search for a natural gas grill. Our local Lowe's can order many designs that take natural gas. Before you try to talk me out of NG in favor of propane....our natural gas is free so we want to take advantage of it. the grill will be permanently connected to our line so therefore it will not be brought in for the winter. We plan on putting it under the porch roofin a convenient location.

In preliminary searching I noticed that some grills have stainless steel grills themselves and others are cast iron. Now I love my cast iron, but wouldn't it be subject to rust over the winter? I am starting to think that stainless would be a better investment re: cleaning, etc.

Oh, and while we're at it, some of those grills are big honking things and I am wanting something a bit smaller, 'cause I'm not that tall. Any models you like particularly? (I already have a charcoal smoker and won't be ditching it)

What's your opinion?

2. MikeD

MikeD Well-Known Member

Especially if it's going to be a permanent outdoor installation I'd go with SS. However, you SHOULD be able to find cast grates to cook on. You may want to make that one of your search criteria. Yes, cast will rust - my experience is that it will even if well seasoned and initially seasoned in an indoor oven, but my grill also lives in salty, ocean air. I just bring them in and outside when the weather turns colder and the grill isn't used as much.

3. BCR

BCR Well-Known Member

I was reading over on Epinions that the stainless steel covers of some grills (Char-Broil) rusted. How can that be? Can it be prevented?

4. mtman

mtman Well-Known Member

free gas thats nice

5. oz in SC

oz in SC Well-Known Member

Stainless steel WILL rust,just not as easily as steel.

Why not look at grills that are permanent instead of on a stand?
    That way it can be any height you build it at...

We looked and compared while at Lowes and the best seemed to be stainless steel grates and bronze burners.

6. BCR

BCR Well-Known Member

Well, Oz, it was the price holding me back. The built in ones that I can find at local stores are all $300 MORE than the other ones with wheels. So we're then considering $650 and up instead of $350. I am going to have to think on this in regards to location and budget further. I will keep in mind brass burners (everything I find says they are great) and consider all kinds of cases and the maintenance to keep them in good repair/appearance.

Thanks.

7. oz in SC

oz in SC Well-Known Member

Well that certainly would change my mind...lol.

You could always do a little engineering and somehow make it built in...

8. travis91

travis91 Formerly 4animals.

get a weber grill best you can buy.

9. Lerxt

Lerxt Well-Known Member

My grand-dad had free gas. All we had to do was pull his finger. :eek: