Griddles

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Charleen, Nov 1, 2005.

1. Charleen

Charleen www.HarperHillFarm.com Supporter

In the Readers Digest Back to Basics book there is a section on cooking with wood. It lists a soapstone griddle as an excellent griddle to use on a wood stove top. I know what soapstone is, but didn't know there was a griddle. I've seen cast iron griddles that are either round, or oblong.

I am embarrased to admit that when making pancakes, I drag out the electric teflon coated frying pan. I cook everything else on the woodstove, so I'd like to be able to do pancakes there too. I've attempted in a cast iron frying pan but just couldn't perfect the skill .

Anyone know of a soapstone griddle or have tips for using a cast iron one?

2. whodunit

whodunit Well-Known Member Supporter

I use butter on my cast iron griddle. Put a little on the griddle, smear it around and put on the batter.

Never heard of a soap stone griddle.

How well seasoned is your griddle? Makes a BIG differance IMO.

Mrs Whodunit

3. dmckean44

dmckean44 Well-Known Member

4. Alex

Alex Well-Known Member

You can get these at sporting goods stores, or on the web.

[​IMG]
    Yummm, Yum, Yes! I LOVE blueberry pancakes, here they are cooking on Katie-The-Cookstove, on a heavy Cast Iron Griddle, with Tofu Bacon (we are vegetarians).

The cast iron is the best for cooking on Katie.

Alex

5. OneWheelBiting

OneWheelBiting Redneck Hippy

I hear soapstone griddles make the best pancakes.

6. raymilosh

raymilosh Well-Known Member

hi there
    i don't have any experience or advice about soapstone griddles, but i would also suggest you keep working on the cast iron, as it really is not difficult to make it non-stick. Seasoning my brand new one took a while...like a whole winter, but eventually i wound up with a great griddle. If you paint your griddle with oil and salt and cook it in your oven until the surface of the griddle feels waxy, you'll greatly improve its performance. Have a way to vent the smoke, as it will need to cook for a long time and it will generate a lot of smoke. By the way, i have found out the hard way that food will really stick to my otherwise well seasoned non stick cast iron griddle, waffle iron, pans, etc if i use OLIVE OIL. I haven't had any problems with any other oils or butter, though.

7. suzyhomemaker09

suzyhomemaker09 Well-Known Member

From my exp. it is a good thing to use lard when seasoning as veggie oils tend to make your cast iron sticky rather than seasoning it well.