Greenville/Clemson/Easley SC Area

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Grandmotherbear, Aug 15, 2004.

1. Grandmotherbear

Grandmotherbear Well-Known Member Supporter

What can my board buddies tell me? My son in law, dd and the elementary age grandchildren are contemplating a move. They have GEDs. He's pretty handy with a computer. Otherwise, no good with his hands. Neither has a green thumb. Local politics, culture, racial/religiouis/political tensions? Cost of living? Housing? They are contemplating moving because their best friends are considering moving. They (friends) don't want their daughters growing up as "Palm Beach Princesses".

2. MelissaW

MelissaW Well-Known Member

I looked into Greenville once for us. It is increadibly beautiful there! The housing was cheaper than it is here in NE Ohio. I looked at REALLY nice, newish houses on a few acres in the $175,000 range. Someone was encouraging my husband to apply for a job there, but he is a journeyman tradesman. I don't know how the computer field is there. I think one of the big airplane manufacturers might have a plant near there, but I'm not positive. If I could just pick up and move easily, the Greenville area (particulary Traveler's Rest) would be my first choice!

3. oz in SC

oz in SC Well-Known Member

Greenville has the BMW plant as well as a lot of industry(well for SC anyway).

Clemson is a college town and as such has all that goes with it.

That area is quite country and when we were up that way a while back it was VERY pretty.We went up to Walhalla SC to go camping at Oconee.

It was about 10 degrees cooler that where we are from and quite mountainous(for us).

The area when we were up there was right AFTER our (former) Governor moved the Confederate Flag from teh Statehouse and so things were in an uproar....BUT there were a LOT of Rebel flags up that way.Much more than down here(but we have a lot of Yankee transplants).

It most likely doesn't mean anything.

Culture????Ohhhh you mean the Clemson Tigers football!!! :haha:

It is kind of out of the way as far as close to anything but Greenville is a biggish city by SC standards.

Hope this helps.

4. barbarake

barbarake Well-Known Member

Ahh!! Something I know about. I live about 15 miles south of Greenville.

The climate is nice. North of Greenville you start getting into the mountains. It's generally a little cooler and prettier (at least I think so but I grew up in mountains and just prefer them). South of Greenville you get into flatter land but it's still rolling.

People with allergies can really suffer - it's one of the worst areas in the country for that - something about prevailing southern winds flow along the base of the mountains, right over Greenville.

Schools are good, much better than you would think from all the bad press nationwide. They're making a concerted effort to improve them.

Clemson and USC (University of South Carolina) are the main universities in the area. Big rivalry. Clemson is about an hour west of Greenville, USC has a branch in Spartenburgh which is about 45 minutes east of Greenville.

'Pretty handy with a computer' - what exactly does that mean. There's been quite a bit of outsourcing computer stuff overseas around here. If he has more up-to-date computer experience, he might be able to use it. As someone mentioned, BMW is here and they just started constructing a big auto research park in Greenville that's affiliated with Clemson somehow. It's supposed to bring in lots of new jobs.

South Carolina is - in general - pretty conservative. But not nearly as much as it used to be - all the 'yankees' are starting to change things. :) (I'm a 'yankee' myself.)

Taxes are reasonable compared to much of the country. I have 9 acres of vacant wooded land and the property tax is $700+ per year. The tax on my house (5 bedroom, 2,600 sq. ft.) is a bit less than that.

Services (at least here in my little town) are excellent.

Composting toilets are totally forbidden in SC (in case that matters <grin>)

Hey!!! I'll be selling my house in a month or so. As I said, it's five bedroom, 2.5 baths on a small town lot and I hope to sell it for $140,000 - $150,000. Let me know if they're interested!! :D

Let me know if you have any more specific questions - it's getting late and I'm off to bed....

5. Ken Scharabok

Ken Scharabok In Remembrance

Looking at reality, with both having just GEDs, they are not going to find a lot of employment opportunities at other than minimum wage jobs pretty well anywhere they go. When factory jobs open up usually they have ten times or more applications than positions and it is not unusual for a goodly percentage of them to have at least a couple of years of college or trade school. Someone with only a GED is unlikely to even make the first cut. Not being good with his hands may leave out skilled manual labor, such as carpentry.

Granted ambition and good work ethics can overcome a lot of lack of training. However, those seem to be lacking in much of today's younger generations. One of a neighbor's sons worked at a place with a point system. If you were late for work it was one half point. Unscheduled day missed was one point. Three points within a certain period of time got them fired - period - no acceptable excuses. He commented the general practice on new hires was to run up to 2 1/2 points within a couple of weeks. That meant the first time their car wouldn't start or whatever, they had no job.

If both are employed now, and their only reason for being interested in moving is because their friends are, they may be better off staying where they are now.

Ken Scharabok