Greenhouse!!!!

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by mammabooh, Aug 5, 2006.

1. mammabooh

mammabooh Metal melter Supporter

I'm getting one today. Hubby found one advertised on-line a few minutes ago and he called the store and they have one! (I had planned on buying or building one eventually, but I'm giddy to be getting one today.) I'm so excited, I have goosebumps. I pulled my onions, garlic and shallots a couple of days ago, so now I have the perfect place to put the greenhouse. I was planning to plant a fall crop of several things within the next few days, so now I'll get to plant them inside (I'll probably have to shade them, though) and will get to harvest them way into the winter. The greenhouse is 10 x 12 and has polycarbonite sides and top. Now, I just have to find a cheap solar-powered exhaust fan.

Can ya tell I'm a happy chick?!?!?

2. NoahJohn

NoahJohn Well-Known Member

How exciting. Can you post the link of what your buying?

3. southrngardngal

southrngardngal Well-Known Member

Congratulations! And I mean it from the bottom of my heart. You sound as if you have a very thoughtful hubby.

Enjoy those wonderful winter veggies.

Jan

4. mammabooh

I have no idea how to post a link, but we got it (yes, it's now in my clutches!) at Harbor Freight for $600.00.

5. mammabooh

Yep, he is very thoughtful! I think he's as excited as I am.

6. CoonXpress

CoonXpress Well-Known Member

7. mammabooh

Yep, that's the one!

8. MaineFarmMom

MaineFarmMom Columnist, Feature Writer

You'll love it! Hubby's a keeper.

9. mammabooh

Grrrrr...guess what we received in the mail yesterday...a coupon for 20% off any one item at Harbor Freight! So, that's like $120.00 sitting there staring at me. It says right on the coupon that it's not good on prior purchases. My neighbor says we should go buy another and then return it with the old receipt, but that doesn't seem very honest to me. Oh well, I was happy before the coupon arrived...I will be happy again.

10. MELOC

MELOC Master Of My Domain

you probably only got the coupon because you bought the greenhouse. just pass it on to me and i will save money on my greenhouse, lol...kidding.

i like the look and the price of the greenhouse. is yours assembled yet?

11. mammabooh

Wow, how generous of you to offer to take the coupon off my hands...you're a gem!!!!

Heck, no, the thing's not assembled yet. My hubby is an engineer and works at his company's research and development facility...I call him the king of continuous improvement. Anyway, he decided that several things needed to be done before construction began to make it sturdier. We got the 4 corner pieces up last night, though, so it SHOULD be smooth sailing from now on!

12. Pony

Pony Well-Known Member Supporter

The coupon is in the latest HF flyer, on the last page, too.

Darn. I don't think it's terribly dishonest to return the greenhouse. Heck, you COULD go in there and very sweetly say, "I have this coupon. I want to use it. I can either bring the entire greenhouse back in, or we could do a paper-only return and you can give me my $120."

That has worked for me in the past. Just be really nice, and they may work with you on it. Heck, girl, it's $120!!!

Oh! Almost forgot! CONGRATULATIONS! I am SO happy for you! :dance: You'll have to let us know how it works for you, and share all the stuff you learn!

Pony!

13. CoonXpress

Would be nice, if someone took pics of the greenhouse during assembly. ;) ;)

14. mammabooh

I'm tempted to take the coupon in and ask them to sell me the $200.00 solar exhaust fan for $80.00. That way, they get to sell another item, and I get my $120.00 off and an exhaust fan. I'll see if I can get hubby to go with me (he's big, shaves his head, has a goatee, and is a little scary-looking if ya don't know him).

15. mammabooh

Yep, we're taking pictures. And, by the way...the instruction bite! It's a good thing that hubby works with Chinese/English manuals at work, because I think "extra long screws" means screws that are extra long (there was a package of 6 longer screws included in the pieces). He knows they mean more than one long screw. There are many steps that aren't in the instructions, so if you aren't thinking, you'll pass by something that needs to be done early on. Regardless of that, we got the entire frame up last night except for the roof. Once we understood what they wanted us to do, it was smooth sailing (that is, except for having to drill several mis-placed factory-installed holes).

Hopefully, I'll post some pics this evening!

16. james dilley

james dilley Well-Known Member Supporter

You should buy TWO of the smaller ones they would give more room ,I have the Add it would be the same price, I get A discount I have A friend That works there.

17. MELOC

MELOC Master Of My Domain

??? splain, lucy, splain...

18. CoonXpress

It'll be a year or 2 before I'll be able to do a proper greenhouse. But this year, I will put hoophouses over the raised beds. Got 3 raised beds that's 30x4, and a 10' pvc pipe is the right size for the hoops.
    Will

19. mammabooh

The smaller ones available here are only 8 x 6...48 sq.ft. Mine is 10 x 12, so 120 sq. ft...still 24 sq. ft. more even if I had two of the smaller ones (so, mine was $5.00 per sq. ft. vs. $6.25 for the smaller one). AND, the smaller one is made for midgets, it seems (for one thing, the doors are only a bit over 5 feet tall...the chick in the picture must be a tiny thing!...I'm not). AND, you'd have to put two of the stupid things together. It would be nice to have two big ones, though!

20. Pony

Pony Well-Known Member Supporter

Okay, that's something I was wondering about when I looked at the pictures.

In the little one, the structure seems between 6' and 8' tall. In the big one, it looks like the thing is a good 12' tall!

Is it really that tall, or did they photoshop the gal into that one?

Pony!