Greenhouse Using Windows

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by farmmaid, Dec 11, 2004.

1. farmmaid

farmmaid Well-Known Member Supporter

We had the chance to buy some nice sliding glass doors that did not have the track. If hubby made a green house with straight up and down sides out of them and put a "hooped" roof on them would they work OK?...Joan :rolleyes:

2. anniew

anniew keep it simple and honest Supporter

I would think the windows would capture the most light and heat
    if they were on an angle, assuming you want the greenhouse for
    starting spring plants. A solar greenhouse book may give you
    calculations for the correct angle for your area. Good luck.
    Ann

3. farmmaid

farmmaid Well-Known Member Supporter

I would prefer to put the windows on an angle but concerned about rain and snow getting under the window calking if at an angle???...Joan :rolleyes:

4. anniew

anniew keep it simple and honest Supporter

That is more of a construction problem than a what's-best-for-
    my-plants problem...Ann

5. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

Sounds good to me. Should make a very nice greenhouse, especially with the hoop roof to pick up more light. Like to see pix when it's done!

6. JennyM

JennyM Member

Hi Joan. I haven't posted here before but do "lurk" a bit. Just couldn't help but reply, though, since my husband & I actually built a greenhouse a few years ago using sliding glass doors we got when a motel in the area was remodeling. We used our doors to build a sunpit. We dug a 4 foot deep pit, lined it with the doors & built a ramp down into it. Our roof frame is a shed type made from left over material from building our house & covered with polycarbonate sheets. It works great & we use it year round, but do have to heat it during cold winter nights. There are also other things to think about like how you'll frame up the doors to make a sturdy wall. We had a lot of fun engineering our greenhouse & we're still learning how to manage it through all the seasons. Let me know if you want more info on how we put ours together.

7. jejabean

jejabean Well-Known Member

If you could pm me with the supply list and directions I'd be really happy...sounds like a recycling challenge to me!! Thanks.

8. JennyM

JennyM Member

I'll get a list together & see if I can send some pictures, too. You're right, it is a recycling challenge but it can be done. Lot's of fun, too.
    Jenny

9. jejabean

jejabean Well-Known Member

Thanks, I can't wait!!!!

10. marisal

marisal Well-Known Member

you post that info for everyone to see? :worship:

:)

11. JennyM

JennyM Member

Well, been trying to post a picture but no luck so far. The forum rules at the bottom of this page says I "may not" post attachments. So help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Anyway, here's what we did. We built our little house using metal studs & had a lot left over. Also, pieces of siding, screws, etc. So we dug a pit using a rented front end loader ($200 but we used it for a few other projects while we had it for the day). We poured a stem wall & inserted threaded bolts then bolted down the metal track that the studs fit into. We put the studs back to back which made a frame for the windows to fit into & screwed the windows into the frame. Be careful here because you can break the glass if you don't hit the frame around it just right. We used self drilling screws which made it easier. When we got a wall put together we capped it with another piece of track. We made 3 walls like this but the 4th wall is on the north side & into the side of a little hill. It does have a couple of small opening windows & a cut-out for a swamp cooler which we use in the hottest months. Oh yes, we left spaces for doors on 2 of the walls & used glass & metal storm doors which we bought a going out of business sale at a building supply store. They don't match & had some dings but were cheap. We can take the glass out of the top when the weather is warm.

The roof is a simple shed type & we did spend the money on some smoked colored polycarbonate panels for it but the rest was mostly left over & found stuff. We also found that we could control the heat/cold by covering the windows so I was able to get very good insulated drapes free from the same hotel I got the windows from. They are tacky & I wouldn't hang them in my house but are fantastic in the green house . My husband made curtain rods from EMT & I use the little clip on curtain rings to hang them.

I'm sure there's something I've forgotten but if I could post a picture I think it would help. Y'all let me know how I might be able to do that.

Jenny

12. Old Jack

Old Jack Truth Seeker

Hi Jenny

if you can get your pictures on the net (your ISP should offer a small amount of space for a personal web page or use one of the free picture hosting services.
    You don't need to actually build any web pages just put them in a directory on your personal site.

Go to the location where your put your pictures ie:
    http://www.yourisp.com/personal/jennyspace/pix/greenhouse

find the picture you want and get the address from the address bar at the top of your browser ie:
    http://www.yourisp.com/personal/jennyspace/pix/greenhouse/walls.jpg

start a new message here --click the little picture icon --[​IMG]

this will put in a tag called img --paste the address of your image AFTER that img tag than hit "close current tag"

Thats it
    you should edit your images (if possible) so that they are 72 DPI and probably no wider than 400 pixels--this will help the dial up people.

13. JennyM

JennyM Member

14. JennyM

JennyM Member

Well, didn't work like I thought it should but I'll try again later. At least you can kind of see what I'm trying to explain to you. Hope this is some help to you all.

Jenny

15. Old Jack

Old Jack Truth Seeker

16. JennyM

JennyM Member

Hey, thanks, Jack! I'll try to get some interior pics posted but it'll probably be after Xmas. Lot's to do!

Merry Christmas, to you all!!

17. dreadstalker

dreadstalker Well-Known Member

i used recycled material to build my 8 x 16 greenhouse.i used a pole barn style frame with solid core doors for three walls,salvaged windows for the south wall and galvanized sheet metal from blown down loafing barn for the roof