Greenhouse thieves!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by shadowwalker, Jun 15, 2006.

1. shadowwalker

shadowwalker Well-Known Member

Last saturday, sunday and monday morning. I gave away over 3,000 heirloom veggies, herbs and flowers. People came and got what I had in the for free part of the greenhouse. A lot looked over the roped off area that I had for seedstock, rootstock, and propagation, for next year or two. All that asked heard the reason I wasn't selling from that section and accepted it. Last sunday night someone came in and stole about 75 to 85 plants. Some were one of a kind I had for next years plants. They took only certain ones out of the flats. I guess I do need to put in that security system.

2. katydidagain

katydidagain Adventuress--Definition 2 Supporter

I'm sorry that happened to you but it's not the 1st time I've heard a story about someone offering some free things and losing some that weren't. BTW, it wasn't me...

3. MELOC

MELOC Master Of My Domain

some people really suck.

i am pretty laid back but if i ever catch anyone stealing from me, i will probably end up doing more jail time than they do. if i had one sandwich and no food for tomorrow and you were hungry, you would get half. my family has always been that way. that is probably why we are not wealthy but also why we are happy.

4. jnap31

jnap31 garden guy

I am so sorry to hear that, I hope you continue to share your extra items, perhaps next time it would be better to move it outside where they cant see the other things? or like you say install a security system what a shame It is amazing what people will steal.

5. TxCloverAngel

TxCloverAngel Happiness is Homemade

Oh I am so sorry! I was so impressed w/ your giveaway & kindness. I just wished I lived closer to you.

Its such a shame that there are those who have to violate kind people.

((((hugs))))

6. via media

via media Tub-thumper

People can be so yucky. I'm really sorry to hear this happened to you.

/VM

7. Mid Tn Mama

Mid Tn Mama Well-Known Member Supporter

Shadowwalker if I lived closer I would have come too. This is so terrible.

Did you read the article by Ms. Cheap in the Tennessean recently. She advertised a free plant swap/potluck that goes on at the buffalo river every year. I think this is someone from our group who also posts on Gardenweb. Later she wrote that some very awful people came without anything to swap but took things anyway (people are always very generous but this was very beyond the pale) They stole things people had set by their cars to go home that weren't available for swapping.

I've stopped offering things on freecycle because the same woman hounds me and I know she is selling things from freecycle on ebay. I'd rather give to goodwill if that's how it's going...

8. seedspreader

seedspreader AFKA ZealYouthGuy

Do you think it was someone from here?

9. Red Devil TN

Red Devil TN Well-Known Member

That sucks. Where was this? Out in the country or are you near a city ike Nashvegas? Maybe post up some of the one of a kind or even all the stolen stuff and see if any of us can help replace what you need for next year? If you need any I stared some flats of Blazing Star and Purple Coneflower. Also have a fed starts of a Locust that was brought over from Greece (though I think it's a Honey Locust).

10. HilltopDaisy

HilltopDaisy Well-Known Member Supporter

I'm so sorry. Many years ago I had something similar happen. All it takes is one...........