Greenhouse Shadeing

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by shadowwalker, Dec 26, 2005.

1. shadowwalker

shadowwalker Well-Known Member

I live in middle tennessee, and was wondering if anyone here or lower states uses the shade tarp over their greenhouse? Or rolls up the sides of the greenhouse in hot summer months. shadowwalker

2. BrahmaMama

BrahmaMama Well-Known Member

I think it MUST be done no matter where you live.
    I don't have a greenhouse yet but I've worked in a few.
    Most folks use shade cloth however I've heard it can be expensive, you might want to compare with the prices of heavy gauge window screening. You can fling it over the top and tie it down or depending on the framework on the inside just weave it along through the hoops.
    You can roll up the plastic but it won't protect the plants from being scorched by the light!
    I've also heard of people actually whitewashing the outside of the plastic but I'm not sure what kind of paint product is used for that.

3. SelfSufficientO

SelfSufficientO becky3086

We put our greenhouse in some shade in the summer. In the winter when the leaves are off the trees it gets plenty of sun. Sometimes I wonder why other people think a greenhouse has to go in full sun? :shrug:

4. Earthbound

Earthbound Well-Known Member

we use both shade cloth and white washing, saves the tomato plants from dropping blossoms in the heat. To white wash just water down regular white latex paint until its real runny and paint or spray on.
    corry

5. shadowwalker

shadowwalker Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info. And ideas. shadowwalker

6. rzrubek

rzrubek Flying Z

Does it wash off or do you have to replace the plastic come winter? Thanks.

7. Earthbound

Earthbound Well-Known Member

It does not wash off so if you are doing winter gardening you may need to replace or add suplimental light. I white wash the greenhouses that i dont plan to winter crop.
    corry