greenhouse pests

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by sisterpine, Oct 6, 2005.

1. sisterpine

sisterpine Goshen Farm Supporter

This year for the first time i seeded with seed obtained from the "seed trust" and had almost 100 percent germination. As the season progressed I noticed a developing crop of aphids and whiteflys which are a common visitor to montana gardens. I never had them before in my green house though! I rotate crops etc and have screens etc. Any way these things spread so fast and populated the plants so heavily i could not get rid of them with insectidial soap etc. extension officer tells me to keep tilling the ground during the winter and temps well below freezing (like -10 F) will kill the bugs and the eggs. I am just wondering if the seeds I used , being seed trust seeds from olden days in my area are maybe more attractive or less resistant to these bugs? any ideas? thanks

2. SquashNut

SquashNut Well-Known Member

I use a mix of mineral or vegetable oil mixed with water in a spray bottle. I spray every 5 days at first then every 10 days after that. 1 tbs. per pint of water. under the leaves is important/ This smothers spider mites too.