greenhouse on the cheap

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by janandkenny, Dec 27, 2006.

1. janandkenny

janandkenny Well-Known Member

Hello! I have a limited budget, lots of space, and sorta kinda an idea of what I want for a greenhouse. The snow has not flown yet here in the southern Adirondacks, so I could technically still put the greenhouse up if I hurry. Any ideas on a sturdy house I can build on the cheap?

thank you.
    jan

2. bob clark

bob clark A man's man

first take inventory of what you have or can get for free or on the cheap, then figure out how to use the stuff you have to make what you want.

3. Ed Norman

Ed Norman Well-Known Member

Lay down some timbers, rail ties, boards, whatever. Drill holes every 2-3 feet in the top at the outer edge. Take a piece of rebar, slide it in a piece of pvc pipe or old garden hose, and stick it in one hole. Then bend it in an arc and stick it in the hole in the timber on the other side. It should be 8-9 feet high at the top. Fill up your other holes with the other rebars. Stretch plastic over it and put a board over the plastic and nail thru it to the timber. You can also shovel dirt on the plastic if the ground will freeze, and that will hold it. Figure out the ends yourself, fold the tarp, tape it, something.

4. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

Cheap and Sturdy ___ Cattle Panels

Put stakes or T posts about 7 feet apart so there will be one at each corner of the panels. Bend the panels into an arch and stand them between the posts. Put plywood end where you put a door. Buy enough Vis-Queen to cover over the cattle panels, and the other end. To prevent the cattle panels from poking holes in the Vis-Queen, wrap any sharp ends with duct tape. An unheated green house will be just as cold inside at night as it is outdoors. For that reason we only use ours to start early plants and protect plant through the spring until real hot weather. With only one layer of cover, it takes a lot of heat to keep the temp up at night.

5. janandkenny

janandkenny Well-Known Member

thank you for the information. I had planned on using pvc pipes, just didn't know what to attach them to. Generally I just wanted to have the greenhouse up and ready to go for early spring. I won't be putting anything in there until then. Its too cold here too.

6. Rickydink

Rickydink Retired Navy Homesteader

We have done what Ed Norman has described. PVC pipe and 6 mil plastic. Even used old garden hose over spikes/rebar like he said. Temps are much warmer and we will start all our garden plants there this next spring.

I can email pictures and lessons learned too.

Rick

7. Spinner

Spinner Well-Known Member

An idea I've been playing with is to put end caps on the pvc and add some misters in strategic places. Have a water hose connecter at one corner where I can flood the pipe with water to have a watering system in place using the framework of the greenhouse. I haven't worked it all out. At this point it's just an idea I'm thinking about. Has anyone tried that? Did it work? Do you know of any reason why it wouldn't work?

8. Sticklady

Sticklady Member