Greenhouse on roof?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by amelia, Feb 15, 2005.

1. amelia

amelia Well-Known Member

I was thinking about putting up a little makeshift greenhouse on the roof, the rationale being that the heat generated from below should keep things quite a bit warmer than if I were to do the same set-up at ground level. (Things are still freezing here at night.) Just wondering whether anybody else had tried this, and whether it made much of a difference.

2. snoozy

snoozy Well-Known Member Supporter

That's an interesting idea. Is your roof flat? You'd have to set up an extra strong greenhouse, I think, because roofs would tend to get more brunt of the wind. How long are you wanting to keep the greenhouse going, because even ere in WA in the summer one has to open up the greenhouse or the temps will really cook the plants. People have "living roofs" of turf, why not a greenhouse? Certainly worth a thought.

Oh, one other thing to consider is the weight of the structure on the roof and the effect of walking around on it. It would be a very expensive tomato if you had to fix the roof!

3. BCR

BCR Well-Known Member

I think you could do it nicely with a balcony that could be opened up in the hot months if you wanted. But that is a costly option and you definitely want to check with someone who understands how to calculate the load (wet dirt is heavy) and your roof's ability to hold it.

My big concern would be lugging all the dirt and plants through the house to get them upstairs to begin with.

4. Windy in Kansas

Windy in Kansas In Remembrance

Are your ceiling and attic not insulated? Otherwise I don't think you should be able to benefit from this. I still like your thinking outside of the box and considering new ideas. I read an article a year or so ago that bemoaned the fact that the world is losing many of its tinkerer/inventors.

5. Mid Tn Mama

Mid Tn Mama Well-Known Member Supporter

How about locating it next to a window on the south side of your house. Then you could open the window when it got too hot inside the greenhouse. Many books talk about this.

6. Jenn

Jenn Well-Known Member Supporter

Solves some of your desires, has other problems: we built a lean-to greenhouse for want of no better foundation over our sliding glass door (on the patio). So when I am willing to use home gas heat to heat the greenhouse- rare late frosts after I have delicates in the gh- I can do so by cracking the sliding door, and the gh is warmer all winter from the heat going through the glass than if freestanding or against a different wall. Very rarely for a few weeks in fall and spring the greenhouse needs or can tolerate cooling down and the house needs or could do with heating and we do so by opening the sliding door again.