Greenhouse House?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by moonwolf, Jun 25, 2005.

1. moonwolf

moonwolf Well-Known Member

Consider this idea:

A basement that is finished for a living space with rooms, kitchen, etc. Under the floor is circulating radiant heat from a wood bolier funace outside. The hot water also is heated by the wood furnace. A heat exchange in the furnace.
    Either solar or wind generator to get off the grid , or hook up to grid as it's already in a building next door (or use to recharge batteries on dull days if using solar).
    But here is the other idea to the indoor basement living space. Atop the basement, build a greenhouse. The question to consider is flooring of the greenhouse that is the roof of the basement?

crazy???

2. snoozy

snoozy Well-Known Member Supporter

You'd fry. Even in Canada. Think of how hot a car can get in the sun with the windows rolled up. You'd spend a lot of time adjusting the curtains, too.

Just build a strawbale house with commonsense awareness of solar features and call it good.

3. moonwolf

No. The greenouse would be conventional with the proper ventilation equipment.It would have insulated (air space) double wall. No curtains.
    Basement would also have ventilation.

4. ellebeaux

ellebeaux Well-Known Member

After living in a northfacing walkout basement apartment for the past 4 years, I'm telling you: you don't want to live in a basement!!!! I think the lack of natural light definitely is affecting my health and happiness. Of course, I also work in a lab under fluorescent lights all day.

That was one of the main points that attracted me to this new house - the ad said 'lots of light and windows'. I move in less than 4 weeks. I can't wait!!!!

5. moonwolf

I see what your saying, but the difference here is that the greenhouse above would have tons of light. In fact, it would probably be the place to hang out most of the time for the 'living space'. ??? hmmm??

6. snoozy

snoozy Well-Known Member Supporter

I think you could accomplish much of the same with a semi-underground house cut ino the side of a hill with a wall of windows on the south side. What about snowloads?

Do be careful about throwing stones, too... :haha:

7. whodunit

whodunit Well-Known Member Supporter

I would have to wonder where all the water from the greenhouse would go. Wouldn't it eventually settle on the concrete floor/roof of your basement? I'm not an expert, but I've heard that water always wins. It will get into every opening, crack, etc. and leak through to the other side.

8. woodsrunner

woodsrunner Well-Known Member

9. Gayle in KY

Gayle in KY Gadabout

That's an awesome idea, woodsrunner, the inner dome gives the house LOTS of light!

10. moonwolf

11. Mike in Ohio

Mike in Ohio Well-Known Member

DW and I (I'm the one pushing the idea) are actually looking at the reverse. The location on our property where we eventually want to build a house is on a South facing slope overlooking our lake. I want to have a "basement" that has an height of 30 feet or so and the entire south wall will be glass with a slight diagonal glass roof. The upper level would be a stone and wood (logs?) single story house. This approach would allow DW to do greenhouse/indoor gardening year round.

Mike

12. akmyilee

akmyilee Well-Known Member

I don't really know how to put in a link but I think that this web site is what you are talking about.

It sounds really cool and we are looking at the very least using alot of these ideas.

http://www.thenaturalhome.com/index.html