Greenhouse heat failure

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Tater'sPa, Dec 15, 2004.

1. Tater'sPa

Tater'sPa Well-Known Member

Well, My electric heater in the greenhouse was somehow unplugged during the last night with freezing temps.....
    I had 12 huge beautiful tomato plants all bearing fruit, I was really looking forward to those great tasting maters...just a month longer but :no: All I have now is some wilted green mess. :waa: :waa:
    I guess I'll have to figure a fail safe way to heat it now.

2. anniew

anniew keep it simple and honest Supporter

sound like human failure rather than equipment failure if it
    was unplugged...
    Ann

3. Tater'sPa

Yup you're right, this human failed :)

4. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

Maybe a freeze alarm? You can buy one from greenhouse suppliers. Sorry about your crop. Know that hurt.

5. sisterpine

sisterpine Goshen Farm Supporter

so sorry to hear about your tomatoes freezing. i am planning on heating my ghouse next year and will learn from your problem!

6. Tater'sPa

I'm quite new to greenhouse growing, I just built this house a couple months ago.
    I had hung a quartz electric heater from the top frame, It works well using little power to keep things warm enough. >>justa gotta keep it plugged in!
    My stevia plants didn't make it either

Cyngbaeld, Yes a freeze alarm :) what a great idea! I'll have to check on that.
    Live and learn ;) I'll know better next time.

7. Paquebot

Paquebot Well-Known Member

Your stevia plants may still survive. Cut them off about an inch or so above ground and keep them well watered. I thought that I'd lost mine when they didn't get watered in the hot sun and were virtually bone-dry. However, there was plenty of life in the roots and they've all regrown from the base of the plants.

Martin

8. Tater'sPa

Thanks for the advice Paquebot, I did that. hope it works!:)

9. diane

diane Well-Known Member

Sorry for you loss!! I plan to learn from this as well and install a freeze alarm for insurance. You might want to keep those tomato plants watered. If they didn't freeze totally to the roots they might just sprout again. Would be a head start anyway.

10. bugstabber

bugstabber Chief cook & weed puller Supporter

That's too bad! I know how sad I am when I get caught by an unexpected frost. Are you starting anything new?

11. jackie c

jackie c Well-Known Member

A few years back we had a very late frost, I thought all my plants bit the dust. Well they came back with a vengence! I had bought more plants which were way ahead of the ones that got frosted, but the frosted ones had at least 3 times the amount of fruit in the end!

12. Tater'sPa

I'm really wanting to restart something and I might after new years. The tomatoes are gone for sure :rolleyes: the stevia may survive as the roots were well covered with mulch. If not Daryll from FL will be getting another order :D
    Winter hasn't even started and I'm ready for spring! :haha: