Greenhouse attached to a barn

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by primal1, May 28, 2006.

1. primal1

primal1 Well-Known Member Supporter

I was speaking to a friend recently who has a bunch of money to invest in her horse farm. Her goal is to cut out some expenses by doing more herself. One thing she really wanted was fresh grass for her horses during the winter months.
    I suggested that she build a greenhouse attached to the barn, equiped with lights, humidity control.... basically the works. She also liked the idea that it could be used during the winter to grow veges.
    Anybody out there done a similar project?

2. Hurricane Kurt

Hurricane Kurt Well-Known Member

Is that just an idea or is growing grass in greenhouses common in your region?? Is it harvested or are the horses just allowed onto it?

Kurt

3. albionjessica

albionjessica Hiccoughs after eating

Seems like you would need a VERY large greenhouse to accomplish the task of growing enough grass to feed a whole farmload of horses. And rather expensive...

I'd say do it for the veggies, and give the leftover scraps to the horses. They can live without fresh green grass for a few months.

4. primal1

Just an idea at the moment... A lot of bording barns now have machines that look like vending machines that grow grass, harvested daily as a supplement for the horses. I forget what type of grass it is but I can tell you a lot of people are growing it and supplying it to people such as my friend... it's not cheap though.

5. primal1

Up here it's 6-8 months without grass, it is a nutritional supplement to i think.
    Her horses are for breeding and Kn derby so scraps are out of the question lol