Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Master Of My Domain
7,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my beans are loaded this year. most of the plants look like this one and have tipped over. the 1st 35 foot row netted 14 quarts canned on the first of two pickings. i have another row to pick and a row of wax beans too. i plan to plant a fall crop, but may only put in one row, lol.

the beans are loaded

·
Registered
7,576 Posts
you're doing great with the beans, Meloc. Sure looks prolific. What variety is that?

I used to plant the slender french horticultual which grew nice. Also, roma that were great for canning. Ever try those?

This year I'm trying to grow only pole beans with my corn which are scarlet runner and blue wonder, and a couple of varieities Martin sent me to try. I'm hoping that the few dry variety pole beans I got will produce (a pinto type). I'll probably plant bush varieties next year.

·
Master Of My Domain
7,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
they are one of the blue lake varieties. not sure which. i say that because one of the blue lake varieties i saw had a number after the name, so i guess they are getting new blue lake varieties or something.

this row was planted with seed i bought to replace the seed i saved that had trouble germinating in the wet conditions, or that was killed by stem boring larvae. the seeds were white and speckled. the seed i saved from last year's blue lake plants were brown. i don't think the second row can be seen, but that was a replanting of my saved seed and it is doing great too.

·
Registered
5,388 Posts
Well your garden may have been hostile to your early bean attempts this year but I'd say it's definitely made up for it!

Good thing you replanted rather than throwing in the towel. Those beans are amazing.

·
Registered
933 Posts
I had to prop up two rows of my pole beans this morning after a hard rain! Your beans look really great- don't you love looking at all those jars of beans after you get them canned? :) Mine aren't ready to pick yet but they are setting on now. I planted a local heirloom called FatHorse Polebeans that we really love! Congrats on a bumper crop! Kathy

·
Premium Member
12,772 Posts
dang meloc....looking good on the beans.keep up the good work.pick a few beans and spray a little olive oil and then put them on the grill...yummmyyyy.also i seen some guys at local feed store that were canning the yellow bean whole with a clove of garlic ...they pickled them.i didnt get to taste test them...but it might be a little somehting to do different with a few extra beans.

·
Master Of My Domain
7,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
sleeps723 said:
mine looked like that befor they floated down the drive way.
hope mine look like that next year

if it dries out down your way, you should have time for more beans...go for it!

i picked 1st pick on half of row 2 today. it netted 7 quarts as the first row did. that is a total of 24 lbs. of beans so far on the first pick with half a row to go.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts