Green Zebra Tomatoes

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by nehimama, Jul 19, 2005.

1. nehimama

nehimama An Ozark Engineer Supporter

I have several tomato varieties growing in my garden this season. On a whim, I planted some "Green Zebra". The packet of seeds was a freebie, so I thought "Why not?"

As the name implies, the tomatoes are green with lighter green stripes.

Has anyone else raised this variety? HOW DO YOU KNOW WHEN THEY ARE RIPE?????

TIA

NeHi Mama

2. moonwolf

moonwolf Well-Known Member

I once grew the red/white 'striped' tomato variety. I think it's called Tigerella. I also grew a novelty that was yellow with white.
    I would say that once the white is prominent on your Zebra tomato, then pull one off and cut it open to eat. If it tastes ripe, then it is!

If I remember the red ones with white were rather tart, but it was fun growing novelty vegetables.

3. mulliganbush

mulliganbush Well-Known Member

The white stripes should get to a yellowy, or even orangey-yellowy color but the greens will still be definite. The inside will be green and tart. They'll also get slightly softer as they ripen.

Ray

4. kathy H

kathy H kathyh

My Green Zibra are mild and sweet. I pick when they get a orange tint.

5. mulliganbush

mulliganbush Well-Known Member

Mild and sweet? I wouldn't have described mine that way, but then we've just been arguing what German Pinks taste like. Sometimes I think the taste is determined as much by the soil and water as by the variety of tomato. The stage of picking matters, and, bottom line, people's tastes are different.

Ray

6. steff bugielski

steff bugielski Well-Known Member

I have grown Green Zebras for years. I think they taste even more tomatoey. Pick when the lighter green stripe starts to yellow. I always wanted to make tomato sauce from just the green zebras, but they get eaten right away.
    Steff

7. nehimama

nehimama An Ozark Engineer Supporter

Thank you very much for all your insights and information. The seed packet described these tomatoes as "delicious 2-oz fruits" so I picked what looked like a 2-ouncer. Yuck! I'll wait on the next ones, 'til I see more of a color change. Thanks again.

NeHi Mama

8. Paquebot

Paquebot Well-Known Member

I'm also watching 3 Green Zebra plants to see when the fruits are ripe. Interesting growth pattern in that the pair growing in a regular garden are wanting to sprawl all over the place. The third one is in a 5-gallon pot. It is behaving itself and becoming a nice bushy plant but with nearly the same number of fruit. Otherwise, fruit size and growth is virtually identical to Tigerella which I grew last year. Apparently only the final color of the fruit will be different.

Martin